Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

New standard definition for OHV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New standard definition for OHV

With all the heated debate going on regarding just what constitutes an off Highway Vehicle, be it an ATV or SXS, do you feel it is time we adjust the definition? ATV's continue to grow in size and weight. SxS's are getting wider than ever with Polaris, Yamaha and Can-AM reaching for the 65 inch widths. At what point do we say enough is enough? One argument is that trail widths are going to have to be adjusted and costs to do so is expensive etc. So putting the argument aside, what do you feel is a good measuring stick. Understanding that we have to move forward to accomodate these already existing machines. Or do we? After all, they get too big, they could go play with the big boys....

Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

We do not have any width rules up here. You just go down any trail you want in anything you want be it a 4wd truck or ATV and if the trail gets to narrow you turn around and head back.
We do not spend a cent on trails because its the bush and mother nature takes care of them once the logger are through with them.
Only in the winter is there a snowmobile fee if its a groomed trail because groomers cost $100,000 plus the operator but with ATVs the rougher and sloppier the trail the better.
I hope ATVing never get that complicated around here.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well you are lucky my friend. Out in the East, to find a "legal" riding area, you load em up and go out of state to PA, WV or NC to ride. Not much locally that hasn't been developed or posted. Didn't used to be that way, but it is what it is now. A national standard is moot. Local states will dictate what is legal there anyway. Anything we would see would be general in nature anyway.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you buy your ATV from a registered New York State dealer, you should receive a bill of sale in addition to the acceptable documents that prove ownership.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

We are slowly headed in the direction f the lowly 3 wheeler. As the machines keep getting wider and bigger, it wont be long before they are considered autos or trucks.....th prices have gotten nearer to vehicles as has the size. Once the govt identifies our atv/utv as a car or truck then all kinds of regulations and requirements and added costs for licensing, registrations, and restrictions for the riders. Simply put...its gonna get ugly with all the govt red tape. Adding to that the excess high powered, turbo charged 100 mph speeds will cause increase safety issues, which will cause more interference from the govt. These 6 seat, 100 hp, 72" plus wide machines should be restricted to trails for trucks and autos. Hate to be on a small atv minding my business and get run over by one of these monster size utv's. If we dont control our own hobby, big brother is gonna step in and kill this hobby as it has done for so many other fun hobbies.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

I feel your pain. I was around when the GOV got involved in 3 wheelers and got rid of them. Unfortunately nobody cared until ti was too late then, and I don't think they care now. The same people ignored the safety ratings and age limits on ATV's, So I don't have any hope that any action taken today will result in any change. At this point in my life, I am pretty much done with ATV's and UTV's. The body cannot function any more to feel safe and I don't want to injure someone if I were to lose control. Everyone is selfish and feels entitled and that laws/rules don't apply to them. Their kids don't need helmets. and safety is something you don't practice until their child is killed. They they are more worried about suing someone to cover their lack of parenting. Yeah, your crusade while noble is going to fall on deaf ears. Good luck with your battle.
Since this is my thread and it is very old, I am shutting it down. 4 comments in what, 7 years proves my point.