Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

trail grader

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trail grader

For graders that can help maintain ATV trails, check out this website--http://www.doublebrepair-mfg.com/.

My club has checked them out and is getting two of them to pull behind our Tucker Snowcats that are used to groom snowmobile trails. They are usually parked in the club garage all summer. Now, we'll be getting year-around use out of them. The Snowcats each have four rubber tracks, and the manufacturer says they'll have no trouble pulling a grader.

I notice there is also a smaller grader available that can be pulled behind an ATV. That might be handy for narrow trails.

I don't know how much we're paying for the graders. It get's complicated. The local ATV club went belly up with some grant money available to them for trail work. I guess they couldn't ever get anyone to work, so the money went to the County Forestry Department. That department then offered to pay the snowmobile club under contract for hours they put in for trail maintenance during the summer. So, that organization became the snowmobile/atv club.

Anyway, instead of turning all the ATV money over to the club, someone had the bright idea of having the Forestry Department buy the graders and loan them to the club. County government can buy stuff cheaper and they don't pay any sales tax. Too bad no one ever thought of that before buying those Snowcats at $125,000 each!

Old 07-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default trail grader

Don't forget the stuff from Bob Gervais of the Trailbuilders.org website http://www.trailbuilders.org/trail_tailor.html

There is a lot of stuff availble for busting new trail too. look around on the links I found this neat trail buster http://www.lawnvac.com/products/brushblazer.html. It is only 48in wide, but handles a 4 inch tree... That is pretty stout.

Just for those that don't know, Deeplaker has consistently been involved in trail building and maintenence projects in WI. I think those of you that enjoy the trails up there owe him and his club members a debt of thanks.

Keep up the good work guys.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default trail grader

We had a sectionof trail that had deep ruts that were more than five years old. It was nasty. But this grader made it smoother than a baby's butt. (Slight exageration) I'm a believer. Tree huggers can no longer bitch about ruts and erosion caused by ATV's.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trail grader

Good to hear, good to hear!