Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

EPS and Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS and Check engine light

I bought a use 2011 sportsman 850 touring with eps. only 150 miles. periodicly the Eps light and sometimes, at the same time, the check engine light comes on. when this happens I do lose the power steering but usually the light dont stay on long and when they go off, I get the power steering back. Also, when in nuetral, if I reve the engine, the light on the speedo goes out and the eps light goes on. please help, Im very nervous that I may have bough a lemon.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Al you can do on this is to check the basics such as tight battery connections,make sure the display harness pins are in good shape and haven't pushed back. You still should be able to snap open the display connector and check solder joints and pins,plus check for any obvious wiring shorts. Beyond this it's better to have it put on Digital Wrench and pay the normal 1 hr service charge than to pull your hair out in frustration if you can't find the fault on your own.The more electronics are added,the less the average owner can work on them. Hope it's a simple problem so you wont have to haul it in to a dealer.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I found something interesting here. my Problem seems to only happen when I travel a distance at slow speeds, say, under 10 mph. I saw in the owners manual that you should be in low gear at these slow speeds. Lately, Ive been doing this and havent had any idiot lights come on.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting on this if this is what the manual says. I agree as on all machines running under 10mph it's recommended to use low range as it's makes efficient use of power,clutches run cooler and less wear. Possible that you're not tuning enough revolutions in high range to get full charging back to the battery at low speeds or too much power draw in high range and the idiot lights kick on from signals from the ecu? Just a thought.