Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Shifting problems

So heres my problem. Number 8 is whats broke so i cant shift into high anymore. I got it mostly apart untill i hit 64.. its the one that has the notch cut out so you have to push the brake to go into park. Im not sure if theres a snap ring somewhere i missed or if this gear is part of the shaft or its just simply stuck, but for the life of me the thing will not come off and i dont want to force it and break something. I think i found a gear puller small enough but i wanted to be sure before i try

Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

I just went through the same stuff on a 04 Ranger except on mine the gear #8 was stripped on the splines of the shaft. The detent star #64 does not have a snap ring, it is just splined to the shaft. Look at the reply OPT sent me for a post I had for "transmission numbers". He sent a link to an earlier post that had great pictures of the breakdown of these parts.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for that. Looks like he just pulled all the gears off the left shaft and didn't mess with the right. I might try that, I just figured since it was behind the gears on the right they had to come out first

Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

While ya'll are at it don't overlook clutch problems that can make shifting hard on all ebs machines. While in neutral the rear clutch shouldn't spin or may just try to spin intermittently which is ok. If the rear spins constantly and it's hard to stop it with your foot,clutch alignment may be needed or the fiber and metal washer may need to be replaced on the one way bearing in the front clutch.Usually when they are worn the belt will drift over and touch the inner sheath putting pressure on the drive clutch. Here's some good repair info if this happens.Clutch belt creeping - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 02-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Actually that's what caused this problem, I had the wrong belt on and it was making shifting from low to high really hard. It's also caused the end of the shift shaft to strip just from forcing it into gear. Now that I've got my clutch problem fixed I have to fix everything it broke, but hopefully when I get it all back together I'll be done with all the trouble

Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Got it together! Turns out I didn't even have to pull #64 out, I just wiggled #8 a little and it popped right out, then wiggled the new one back in and put it all together. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it