Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

opt

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ethanol damage is slimy,nasty,gel coated crap,but when that's all the fuel you can get ,you can at least help protect metal and rubber parts and help keep this crappy fuel from attracting moisture. Good product like Marine Stabil,Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment can at least help and extend shelf life. I double dose with Stabil to keep the old riding mower and push mower going,especially at the end of the year. Come spring just change the oil and filter and they both crank right up with no problems.My two cents on atvs is that anytime you fill up gas cans or even in the tank just add stabilizer to it.Even adding a tad extra than recommended won't hurt it's running.Lucky are the people that have ethanol free fuel close by.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
.Lucky are the people that have ethanol free fuel close by.

I wish I were that lucky

Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

OK I will try not to get you to excited....the problem with todays cars is they are set up to try and run both 10% and also 85% ethanol, the gov't can't make up their mind so performance suffers greatly. If the car was strictly set up for 85% and nothing else, then hp and fuel economy will increase, hundreds of tests show it, but it will never happen as long as we try to run multi-fuels. Nascar is a perfect example, they run 30% ethanol and 30% only nothing else....they have a 20% gain in HP and better fuel economy than when they ran 10% or straight pump gas ( yes racing gas I understand) but ethanol does improve performance if the engine is set up for it and only that fuel!. As far as your boots go, go back to the manufacturer, if it was built in the past few years it is mandatory it stand up to ethanol fuels, if older then get quality parts guaranteed to stand up to ethanol. I don't like the gov't playing their games anymore than you do, but we have to live with it...so get the proper stuff to stand up to ethanol and you will be fine.....just a shame we can't make the gov't pay for all the stuff we need to change!!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Sta-Bil in ethanol gas when I'm done with the ATV, lawnmower, etc. for the season and haven't had any problems yet. Sometimes I double dose it just to be sure. One time I checked where to get non-ethanol gas and the closest place was something like 30-50 miles away.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I put Sta-Bil in ethanol gas when I'm done with the ATV, lawnmower, etc. for the season and haven't had any problems yet. Sometimes I double dose it just to be sure. One time I checked where to get non-ethanol gas and the closest place was something like 30-50 miles away.

Yep, those are the kind of things I am referring to, these steps will keep you from having ethanol problems. Yep, its extra work and I am not a fan either but if you prepare ahead of time you shouldn't have any problems with it. In my area we have had ethanol fuels for over 15 yrs, I have used it in everything I own from older engines to newer, from 2 stroke and 4 stroke, but I made the necessary corrections such as fuel lines etc, and always use stabil blue, just a small amount, and never store fuel long term without serious additions of fuel treatment or even drain the fuel if more than 6 months. Knock on wood....never an issue.