Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

opt

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default opt

https://atvconnection.com/forums/kid...ml#post3347636

Your opinion on the ethanol thing please.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Kinda sorta.. I do like those little cans of 50/1 premix fuel for weed eaters. The can can stay fresh up to two years or more. Problem down here is distance between ethanol free stations. Not worth the drive of 50-60 miles or more. Just buy good fuel from tier 1 stations,and yes where you get it does matter,plus use a good fuel preservative/stabilizer for ethanol fuel that can help reduce damage to fuel lines,carbs and efi systems from water absorption and crud build up from ethanol fuel. So yes I agree it's not worth the effort to get ethanol free gas only if it's too far away to get it and you protect the crappy fuel we get now days. Just thought about a carb a member posted a pic of a few years back that he let sit up with no stabilizers over a short period of time. This ought to make people realize what damage ethanol can do.

Attached Thumbnails opt-image-2-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Need to use it frequently to keep the gas fresh, the more you ride the less likely you will have ethanol problems. That's what I tell my wife, to let me go ridin most every day!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas with ethanol can make small engines fail

There is no discussion...ethanol is bad...period...if you're lucky enough to have an ethanol free gas supply near you then you're lucky...the rest of us have to suffer with the **** gas...

Old 01-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
https://atvconnection.com/forums/kid...ml#post3347636

Your opinion on the ethanol thing please.
Just use this: Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment

Besides the ethanol negating aspects, it allows small engines and quads to fire up quick! At mower shops or wallymarts' marine section.

Luck and enjoy. :cowboy:

Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
Gas with ethanol can make small engines fail

There is no discussion...ethanol is bad...period...if you're lucky enough to have an ethanol free gas supply near you then you're lucky...the rest of us have to suffer with the **** gas...

The only fear with ethanol is fear itself. Extra steps need to be taken if you have an older engine not designed for ethanol. My boat is a 1983 inboard (car engine) been running ethanol for more than 20 yrs with absolutely no issues. I use ethanol in all my motorized vehicles and have been since it came to market...no issues. Just add an ounce of ethanol treatment in each tank of gas and DO NOT store for long periods of time.
Most ethanol problems start with a dirty engine or gas tank or the hoses are not upgraded to ethanol fuel requirements. Replace any old uncoated steel gas tanks with coated or aluminum tanks and upgrade your rubber hoses. If you have an older engine that has not been used much, then a thorough cleaning is needed of the entire fuel system before using ethanol fuels. The problem with ethanol is it is a great cleaner and loosens up all the crud which then clogs the fuel system. If things are clean to begin with and ethanol rated then you will have NO issues.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Agreed. In addition, in my experience ethanol also 'eats' rubber and plastic hoses. I've had my 2010 sporty's gasoline hoses dissolve like black slime into my hands as I try to work with them. Also seen the same on plastic fuel hoses on small engines like string trimmers and leaf blowers. All to plant more corn. :cowboy:

Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Polquad498
Agreed. In addition, in my experience ethanol also 'eats' rubber and plastic hoses. I've had my 2010 sporty's gasoline hoses dissolve like black slime into my hands as I try to work with them. Also seen the same on plastic fuel hoses on small engines like string trimmers and leaf blowers. All to plant more corn. :cowboy:

Return your equipment to the mfgr as all equipment after a certain date is required to accept ethanol fuels. I run ethanol fuels in my 2000 and 2002 atv's and my snowblower always and never have had an issue..UNLESS you let them set for long periods of time like more than 6 months. My string trimmer is a 1995 and has always used ethanol and no issues. In fact have never had a single issue with ethanol fuels with proper maintenance.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

yeah it's the 6 month devil that got them. the quads were both used and most likely sat many months (they don't now) and the small engines just sit in 'winter' here between oct and march, no use, so i need to remember to drain/run them till empty, drrr...

Old 01-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kymco - don't get me going on ethanol...it's a government subsidy...period. ****-in-all produces less BTUs then straight gas...meaning it's far less efficient. Car engines don't have rubberized intake tracks...so comparing them to ATVs/Sleds/whatever is night & day. It's fine for the car (kinda - except you get less HP and mileage), but for everything else it blows...always checking intake boots for delamination...and they DONT SOAK in the stuff...