Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

97 sportsman 500 compression release spring frustration please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What could cause this boggin .starts about half throttle and kinda backfires. I put new plug wire on it had rip. Gonna do plug . Hoping maybe the jets in carb.if sitting in neutral if you give it full throttle it will bog spit and sputter and try to stall I noticed some black smoke out exhaust

Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the black wire from the terminal board that goes to the reverse limiter module.Modules can short out and limit in forward range also. See if this solves it. Item #32 is the module.

Attached Thumbnails 97  sportsman 500 compression release spring frustration please help!-index.png  
Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Any good synthetic will work since it doesn't have a wet clutch. 0w40,5w40,5w50 are good oil viscosities to use. Could have been gummed up oil in the cam lubricating holes? Hope that's all there was to it. A lot of times people confuse drive clutch clattering with engine noise. You can tell if the guide buttons are worn by twisting the outer clutch cover back and forth. If there's a lot of play on the buttons where they hit on the clutch sheath guides,then that's probably the noise you're hearing. I've had plenty over the years that you could hear them coming before you ever saw them..By that time clutches were usually too far gone to rebuild..
That was the problem with a friends Sportsman 335. We all thought something was wrong with the engine but when he went to rebuild it the clutch was FUBAR.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll unplug it tomorrow and see what happens. What does reverse limiter do exactly and how does it affect forward or in nuetrAl.it does it refine in neutral too

Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Reverse limiter was a needless safety device that only allowed full power in reverse when you held in the over ride button on the left control switch. They all fail eventually. Sometimes when they do machines will die when shifting from neutral to reverse. Some times you can hold the over ride button down first before shifting and it will run in reverse.Once back in neutral or forward range you can let go of the button. Other cases the limiter will affect forward range and not allow full power. Whether this is the problem or not,leave the black limiter wire unplugged. You now can have full power in reverse without having to push the over ride button.Don't know of any other atv that has this,but it's not needed.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok got home from work tonight did oil change . Looking for the half throttle bogging and found it. While leaning down looking at carb boot it started running right. I had my left hand on air breather box. It is missing three nuts and when you rev it it lifts up and suck to much air must be leaning it out. Screwed it down and runs like a raped ape lol. Couple questions
I need to make sure that Polaris knocking isn't the clutch how do I inspect and test it?
And I would like to make sure my oil and temp light function properly. The neutral and reverse light don't because switch is bad and I bypassed them with jumper wire. Oh someone got to it before me the black wire to rev limiter was already cut and capped lol.
Thanks for all the help old tech guy😜

Old 01-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Have to have the air box and filter secured for it to run right also which you've found out. Best way on checking if the clutch is the problem on noise is to pull it and crank the engine. You can tell real quick if the clutch is the main source of the noise. Plus a check on side to side play by twisting the outer clutch cover and inspecting for any deep grooves in the clutch towers along with worn out guide buttons. If you plan on keeping it you still can't go wrong with a manual.This can help you check out any electrical problem along with testing sensors. Here's a free one you can down load and keep.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Z7Rqhg&cad=rja Or here's one that you can just glance at for any problem.https://www.scribd.com/doc/62355595/...Service-Manual

Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Ironmike340
Ok got home from work tonight did oil change . Looking for the half throttle bogging and found it. While leaning down looking at carb boot it started running right. I had my left hand on air breather box. It is missing three nuts and when you rev it it lifts up and suck to much air must be leaning it out. Screwed it down and runs like a raped ape lol. Couple questions
I need to make sure that Polaris knocking isn't the clutch how do I inspect and test it?
And I would like to make sure my oil and temp light function properly. The neutral and reverse light don't because switch is bad and I bypassed them with jumper wire. Oh someone got to it before me the black wire to rev limiter was already cut and capped lol.
Thanks for all the help old tech guy😜
hey what became to be your problem with the hard start was it the oil you had in it I’m having the same problem