Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2015 Ranger 570 No response to key

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Ranger 570 No response to key

Hi,
I have a 2015 Polaris Ranger 570. It sat for a little while (maybe a month) with no use. I tried to start one day and it did not do anything. Assuming it was a dead battery, I hooked the battery charger to it and let it charge overnight.
The next day I tried to start it and received a rapid clicking noise but it would not activate the starter and turn over.

I then began to trouble shoot and put + straight to the starter and it turned over fine but no start.
I assumed this meant the starter solenoid and ordered a new one.

The new solenoid came in and I hooked it all up, turned on the key and I now get no response at all. The gauges don't even light up.

I again put + straight to the starter and it turned over again.
Trying to rule out the battery (which tests 12V) I put the engine starter on the battery to ensure it has enough power. When doing this, there was no difference.

I've checked all of the fuses in the little rectangle fuse container under the seat and they are all fine but none of them state they are associated with the key. I also put the old solenoid back on and nothing happens. It doesn't even act like it did the last time it was on where the dash lit up but there was just a clicking noise.

Without a wiring diagram I don't know where else to check but I have to believe that whatever is supposed to power up the dash is also used to send a signal to that solenoid to close the circuit and its getting no power.

Does anyone have any advice as to what to check next?

Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I realized that I had some accessory wires on the other side of the solenoid. I put them on the side which is directly attached to the battery and I power up my gauges now. I immediately got a LV notification on the dash. I plugged in the engine starter and turned the key on and I get an OV notification and all of the relays rapidly cycle. When I press the brake with the key on the relays cycle a bit slower. When I try to start it the relays cycle at the slower pace but then the solenoid begins cycling rapidly and the engine does not turn over.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just because a battery shows 12 volts doesn't mean it's good. Voltage can drop like a rock if a cell is bad.Under a load such as starting it shouldn't drop less than 10 volts.Before you get too deep just have the battery load tested after fully charging.Could be as simple as that. Plus not a bad idea to see what charging rate you have once it's running.Here's a good article on batteries.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html Plus sitting for a month can drain a battery down and cause battery cells to sulfate and short out if not kept on a maintainer.