Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Different size wheel/tire for running in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different size wheel/tire for running in deep snow

I have a Polaris 500 X2, 25X8X12 front & 25X11X12 on the rear, so if anyone know's the upper limit in front tire width for my machine, that would be a great help.

I've been reading the other snow tire threads and I'm leaning towards the Zilla 26" tall tire, but the width is the biggest question. I like that the Zilla's are lighter in weight and there has been quite a few comments from those that like them and being 6 ply will help their longevity when aired down may-be.

If someone does have wider (10") tires on the front, are they on the stock rims?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

This what I find in snow riding ,either any ATV will go on a certain snow condition or none will. Once a ATV high centers in snow its all over and I never seen a ATV float on soft unbroken snow no matter how light it is or how wide its tires are.

This is a light 300 Lakota with 10" wide Swapwitch tires.

Name:  Snowditch.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  98.7 KB

Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer

if its deep hard wind blown snow you would be better off with chains. what ive found ice fishing is that you want a stiffer suspension as well to make it easier to quickly rock the machine while going forward, seems to help alot. now if its not the hard wind blown stuff that you might encounter near a big lake, you want tracks, i have the 500x2, its heavey to dig out when you hit the deep soft stuff.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

TLC, do you have 10" tires on that front of that wheeler?

I know that tracks are the best solution, but being laid off, I don't have the funds to get tracks.

Anyone want to trade some decent used tracks for a Cub Cadet Z-force 50" lawnmower, that I can do.....

Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The ATV had stock front tires but no matter the wide rear tires sank the same. The only reason the back is up higher in the pic is because the rear is still somewhat on the groomed sled trail.

Have you though of a used snowmobile there much cheaper and more plentiful then ATVs. I bought this 1997 500 touring two up with hand,thumb warmers and reverse for $1800 Canadian($1400 U.S). thats half the price ATV tracks sell for around here.

Name:  500ski-doo.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
The ATV had stock front tires but no matter the wide rear tires sank the same. The only reason the back is up higher in the pic is because the rear is still somewhat on the groomed sled trail.

Have you though of a used snowmobile there much cheaper and more plentiful then ATVs. I bought this 1997 500 touring two up with hand,thumb warmers and reverse for $1800 Canadian($1400 U.S). thats half the price ATV tracks sell for around here.

I second that thought, a snowmobile is much better than any atv in the snow w or wo tracks, can pickup used Wife sleds with low miles cheaper than tracks.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty much no matter what you get for tires in snow when its too deep and you bottom out the frame your done unless its light snow and you can rock to the bottom.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We love to ride in fresh snows. I remember one ride it was even 2 feet deep and me and my buddy rode side by side and it was pushing up over the racks! That day I kept overheating because it just kept everything packed. Once the snow has set a day or so or in the middle of winter we ride sleds cuz it just gets too deep here. The best setup we have found so far was on my buddies T-cat with 27 in front mudlites all the way around. Narrow on the front and back. It worked great and on one ride last year in about 12 to 18 inches of snow he could get easy 3 times the speed through it. We are both riding 850 xps this year and we just ordered 28x10 mudlites on the narow front wheels all the way around. We really wanted the 30's for extra clearance but chickened out not wanting any problems. Bottom line fresh snow tall narrow tires even up to 2 feet deep. Old snow nothing will make them float so stay on the trail. JMO!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

Width wise using stock rims - 9" wide tires will probably rub on the TRE. I put 26x9 zilla on my 800 touring, and had to flip the TRE so the tires wouldn't rub.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best all around tire for snow is Bighorns. We run them at around 3-4 psi. I have been able to to places my friends with new stockers could not. They do not dig the snow like most mud tires. Keep them as close to stock as possible and remember they run one size larger. My 800 used 26" tires and I wend with 25 " Bighorns. There is much much more info on RinconRiders.com about these tires.

Quick Reply: Different size wheel/tire for running in deep snow