Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

motor mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow motor mount issue

I was wondering if you no where the motor mounts are on the 03 sportsman 500 4x4 ho
and how do you check them to see if there broke
ive already went all threw the primary clutch and shims the secondary out
now I really believe its a motor mount for sure some where
thanks gang

Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

One mount at the front,one at the top right hand side and two at the rear. Usually the one that has the most problems is the very front. If the engine torques inward a lot you can just use a pry bar to try to lift up the mount to see if it's separated. Same on the top right mount. On the rear engine mounts you have to remove the clutches and backing plate to get to these easily. Have a had a few of the rear separate over the years. You can really tell if you have a motor mount problem by just pulling the clutch cover and see if the front clutch moves excessively when you give it throttle.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Has a steel molded in plate and threaded shaft (on each side) that can separate. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Engine-Motor-Mount-1993-1994-1995-Polaris-Sportsman-4x4-/140899214413?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ce3f644d&vxp=mtr These are from an earlier model,but basically the same. If creeping or hard to shift is the problem you're having, check the mounts out,plus make sure the belt is centered on the one way bearing in the front clutch and NOT touching either side of the clutch sheaths. If it is this can tell you if you need to add/remove shims from behind the rear clutch. Plus the fiber washer behind and the brass washer in front if worn on the one way bearing can cause problems. A clutch spider tool is needed to separate the clutch to replace these .

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

problem solved it wasn't none of the stuff I thought?? I changed the belt and everything is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the belt looks really good and I would of never thought by taking a poke at it that it would be the belt???????????????????????

Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyscott
problem solved it wasn't none of the stuff I thought?? I changed the belt and everything is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the belt looks really good and I would of never thought by taking a poke at it that it would be the belt???????????????????????
Most people over look the obvious at times! Can't see the forest for the trees! Good luck