Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I checked it out a little before work today. Wires look ok and the more I mess with it I can get it to electric start intermittently but can't pinpoint cause. Very frustrating. Are u aware if I can bypass key switch successfully to determine for sure were problem is. Hate to just shoot another part at it and get same results

Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by journyman325
So I checked it out a little before work today. Wires look ok and the more I mess with it I can get it to electric start intermittently but can't pinpoint cause. Very frustrating. Are u aware if I can bypass key switch successfully to determine for sure were problem is. Hate to just shoot another part at it and get same results
Wasn't too good at hot wiring cars or atvs for that matter,but if the problem is internal on the ignition switch then jumping wires may not help as this switch ties into the terminal board and doesn't have a connector like the later models do. But if you try the Red or red/white to a red/black? on the circuit board might work? I'd have to look up the schematic to try to see what are the colors..

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer

I'll do some checking too.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

According to the schematic at the terminal board, jump the Red/Black and Red wire coming from the key switch to turn on power. Jump the Red/White to White/Red wire coming from the left control start button. This should engage the starter and the engine should crank.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris is real nice about making all switches easy to disassemble and clean contacts and put a little dielectric grease but still didn't fix problem. So I used jumper wire to send power down white with red stripe wire going to start solenoid and will start and run
everytime. So I'm not using green push button to start. I just can't believe that it would be left side switch there is nothing to them when I took apart????

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Ok!!! It getting really weird. If I touch my test to light white/red wires when tryiing to start to watch for power will start and run perfect every time using left switch start button. But if I run just jump wire will not work

Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok!!! It getting really weird. If I touch my test to light white/red wires when tryiing to start to watch for power will start and run perfect every time using left switch start button. But if I run just jump wire will not work
You either have a short in the circuit board connection OR the left control switch is bad!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

I think that it is the reverse override module (hub safety switch as my book calls it) is bad and shorting out internally. It is sending ground to kill engine after start button is released.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I think that it is the reverse override module (hub safety switch as my book calls it) is bad and shorting out internally. It is sending ground to kill engine after start button is released.
Did you leave the black wire unplugged?? It receives it's signal to over ride when from the etc switch in the throttle housing.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

you wouldn't happen to know if part #4060205 is the new replacement for #4060135 for the rpm limiter? some info that I have come across says it does?

Quick Reply: I am stuck. 1997 sportsman wont stay running