Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

newb with 1st polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Very easy to see if the pump still works. Just bleed the 10mm screw on top of the pump,pull the line from the cylinder base.Put your finger over the injector at the cylinder. Crank the engine up,hold the pump arm all the way up. Tricks it into pumping full force. Should be a dribble of oil coming from the line if the pump is ok.
thanks

Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Polaris is running good. Wired in an ignition from another polaris a friend was parting out so now I have lites.Dash lites even work. Only issue i have now is it seems to want to backfire when I crank it.I only have pull start and will usually fire right up on the 1st pull but ive gotten where i pull it real easy a pull or two before i give it a good yank because if you yank it hard first time,it will backfire.1st time it did it i thought it blew up on me..lol
i am pre-mixing the gas right now..maybe i have the mixture off? its 50-1 and i have oil in the front tank while i work on seeing if the injection system is working

Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

50-1 premix on the first tank of fuel along with the oil pump is ok as that is what we had to do on new ones. Back firing could be carb related (loading up)if too much fuel is entering the cylinder from a worn needle and seat.Since this machine is new to you I'd install a carb kit and hopefully this may stop the back firing. Plus may not be a bad idea if you can, to pull the flywheel and clean it and the stator with electrical cleaner. I'm sure the stator area would be dirty over the years. Seal the cover and rope handle with a good rtv sealant to stop any future moisture from entering.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Trail-Blazer-250-1996-2000-Carb-Carburetor-Kit-/261285380350?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd5d280fe&vxp=mtr

Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

if i find the pump isnt working,what mixture should it run on?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If for some reason the pump doesn't work,pull the oil line from the injector at the base of the cylinder,cap this injector off and premix 40-1. You can drain the oil tank, leave the pump in place as it works in tandem with the split throttle cable,or buy a pump block off kit and run a single throttle cable if you wish. Here's one place that has block off kits and cables. http://www.aaenperformance.com/2S_P2.asp

Old 12-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

rode the atv around a little today,..not hard just up the road to my dads etc. so,last time I rode it...turned it off w the key.(I just installed this key and wired it in and its been checked so I know its good). went inside for about 30 minutes,and it hasn't even attempted to start again.Only have pullstart and it usually cranks first pull real easy. feels like its harder to pull and acting as if I have the killswitch on. it just doesn't fire. im 6'2 and 300 so pulling it isnt an issue.lol
I had it do this right after I got it home and it didn't have a choke on it so I ordered one and its been fine ever since. any ideas?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the spark plug,pull the recoil with throttle wide open without the key off first to see if the engine is flooded with gas.Might be a good time to do a compression check also to see where you stand.If compression is over 115psi or so should be enough to start it. May have to hold the throttle wide open again to clear any gas residue for it to start.Install the carb kit if you haven't done so and always turn the fuel valve off on these old two strokes when you're through.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Range Rover

weird. when I took the carb off to clean it,it was in really good shape. and I have rode the Polaris some b4 and this hasn't ever happened till today. I will pull the plug tmrw and see what she does. crazy cause it was running super good.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the plug out to in case you may have fouled it out. Carbs can look good and clean,but parts can be worn such as the needle and seat,float level off,etc. I'd still do a compression check,then check that you still have good spark.If both check out ok,then just install a new carb kit.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

I will check it out tmrw. I will confess,the plug hasn't been changed. Its possible its just old as crap. Whats the recommended plug?

Quick Reply: newb with 1st polaris