Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 Polaris 350L AAEN Disappointed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep sounds right. Kind of like setting your shift points at 7000RPM when the engine only makes power to 6000. The PVT is holding the gearing down until you get to 7000 but you can't really get there, when you do there isn't much umph left.

Yep 1-2 would make it a little softer and allow upshift sooner. So 2-2 will be even worse as you said. I would put the stock spring in the secondary and test it. You have nothing to lose.

Do you know what primary spring color they sent you? Curious to see how far off of stock that spring is.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

Primary is green
Secondary is blue

I seem to recall that the green primary is "normal" upgrade for these 350-400s when adding a pipe?
I am a little confused as one would think that if AAEN sold the clutch kit they would have it geared up for the matching pipe. I shouldn't have to tinker with it.
Thinking to myself, the stiffer green spring is essentially increasing the "stall" or engagement rpm. But then isn't it also making more rpms needed for a given change in diameter? If the secondary spring is increased it would just add to this effect?

The torquer pipe is supposed to bump peak hp 5-6. But it also changes the peak hp up about 4-500 rpms. So I do need some increase in rpms to run at peak power/torque. Is the blue/green combo just too much?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Green spring does have higher pressure at every length over stock so it raises engagement and full upshift. You can actually have a spring with a different rate to only raise one or the other within reason.

The AAEN green is very close to the Dalton Black/orange that I had in my AAEN piped 250. So yes it must be the "normal" upgrade for all the Polaris 2-strokes with a pipe. It is a pretty big jump from the standard Polaris blue/green. It will raise the engagement and upshift without any changes to the secondary clutch. I would try it, it may be just right. You can bring the RPM down even a little lower with a Dalton Black/white. Not sure if there is an AAEN equivalent.

I went with a Dalton Orange/Blue which kept a higher full up shift but brought the engagement way down. The "normal" upgrade spring engagement was just too high for me and I still have plenty of low end.

Last edited by James0822; 12-16-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! Makes me have a little hope that I can dial this in. I'll put the stock secondary spring in 2-2. I'll also check the spark plug. Aaen supplied a +2 main, but he thought with the torque pipe it may be a little too much. I have a +1 (210) main, so I'll see what the color of the plug is.
I am not trying to turn this into a drag racer, but I was really hoping to see more change with $400 in pipe, clutching, jetting, reeds, etc..
I did all that work and all I have to show for it is a slower quad

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'd do it tonite but I bent up the snap ring a little too much getting it off, at least for my comfort level. So I need to get a new one.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Well put the stock (red) secondary spring in. The red spring is definately lighter than the AAEN blue. I was able to preload and snap ring the red spring myself. The blue one required a friend's help.

The upshift is definately lower rpm. It was hard to tell if it made a big difference. I'll have to line'em up with my friend again and see what the difference is.

I did pull the plug. It was dark tan / very light black. Looks close enough to me from my experience. I think the jetting is close enough.

Again, I hope I gained something out of this $400. I hear nothing but raves about "stage one" kits. I haven't felt it yet?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have any experience with that exact AAEN pipe but I noticed it is the same one listed for the 300 and 400. The OEM exhaust must be the same so they just made a universal as well rather than "tuning" each pipe to the particular displacement or bore size. Probably more of a low end pipe on the 350 if it is in fact a torque pipe for the 300.

If you think about it, if you were able to increase your fuel by 2 jet sizes and not run rich you have got to be moving more air and thus making more power. Hopefully your next race with your buddy will show it. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

thats one of the biggest draw backs to cvt tranny,always a trade off,torque or top end cant have both,dont let people tell you different.easy riding for wives and girl friends.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by infantryvet
thats one of the biggest draw backs to cvt tranny,always a trade off,torque or top end cant have both,dont let people tell you different.easy riding for wives and girl friends.
Not really they do have a tranny you know. In High Range I can cruise at 55mph all day and in low range I can pull stumps out of the ground.
This is our yearly ATV camping trip. Its a fly in fishing lake with a trail that's just to rough and narrow for a 4wd truck so everything has to go in by ATV only.

Both these ATVs do not even struggle with these heavy loads, ones a 500 the other is a 700. When unloaded they can also fly down a gravel Road at 60 mph, if a road was around that is.
Can you even name a Power house ATV that's not a CVT? Because I can't.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

Well with the stock secondary spring back in, I am now ALMOST back to where I was bone stock. In the same drag race I am only a length or two behind where I was stock.

I tried to back the main down to a 210 and 200 (stock) from the recommended 220. IMO the 210 ran best, but not a huge difference between the three.

Yes I know it's a utility quad against a "sport" quad, but the drag race is a generic bench test to see what improvements I got with the pipe, air filter, clutch kit, and jet kit. It is apples-to-apples in this case.

Long story short, I wouldn't do it again. $400 and no difference. Is it a pinch "snappier"? Did I get a little bottom end? Yes, but most of that is the clutch kit. Did the midrange and topend improve? NOPE.

My verdict: For a Polaris 350L the AAEN torque pipe and clutch kit is a waste of money. If I had to do it all over again, I would of left it bone stock.

Perhaps it works better on other models.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the better choice would have been to sell or trade your 350 for a 400 scrambler. People do this all the time. Buy something underpowered, spend a ton of money to make it faster and its still not fast enough and it ends up running worse than stock. 400 scramblers aren't that expensive, and it would have almost been a wash with the money and time you spent. I've learned by experience, just buy the more powerful machine and leave it stock.