Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 sportsman 90 intermittent spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 sportsman 90 intermittent spark

I have a 2007 sportsman 90 4 stroke that will on spark when the starter switch it first pressed and when it is released. I changed the coil and stator with the same results. You can bump the starter switch quickly and get it to fire regularly but still will not crank it. I found one post on here from a few years back with the exact same problem but just my luck a solution was never posted. Please help.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Disconnect the kill wire from the cdi which eliminates the ignition switch and left control switch. If it doesn't help then probably a cdi since you've already replaced the stator and coil. If it's one of those Chinese Caltric stators, some have been hit and miss on reliability. Best to do the resistance checks on it before you order anything.This 5 buck manual can help on electrical checks.2007 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download Plus the problem could be in the start button itself on the left control switch. The wiring diagram and checks in the manual can help you rule this out.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. The manual was a great help. I checked everything and the trouble shoot diagram points to either the CDI or stator and since the stator checks which the old one does too it looks like I need a CDI. Only thing that sucks is it is over $200 for the 4 stroke models. I will post a response of the outcome.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I lucked up and found a used CDI on eBay for $60. I put it on over the weekend and the spark plug would fire every time now. I put the plug back into the motor and it fired up. Then I noticed something smoking. I shut it off and the smoke went away. I went to the left side of the bike and stated it again and it was smoking heavy white smoke from the rectifier. I am going to check voltage at the battery tonight but I went ahead and got a rectifier on order. I will update later.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregorw_99
I lucked up and found a used CDI on eBay for $60. I put it on over the weekend and the spark plug would fire every time now. I put the plug back into the motor and it fired up. Then I noticed something smoking. I shut it off and the smoke went away. I went to the left side of the bike and stated it again and it was smoking heavy white smoke from the rectifier. I am going to check voltage at the battery tonight but I went ahead and got a rectifier on order. I will update later.
Second one this week that a faulty voltage regulator was the source of the problem on intermittent spark. Hope it's just the regulator only and didn't do damage to the cdi.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default The verdict

Well it wound up being the CDI that made it start back sparking but when I checked the voltage with it running and the voltage did not go up so I replaced the rectifier and it is charging now and isn't smoking anymore. I am not sure if the faulty rectifier fried the original CDI or not but that what I can assume. Hope this helps someone else out with similar problems.