Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New 2005 Vinson owner in need of information.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2005 Vinson owner in need of information.

Instead of breaking this up into 3 or 4 topics I wanted to keep this all here. Please stay on topic as alot of posts have a tendency to wander out in left field.

1) OverFenders/Fender extensions. Where can I find these? I've called every local suzuki dealer and the two small parts shops I deal with and noone can find these. I've been all over google and everywhere I can think of but cannot find a place to order them. Those of you that use these, how much extra coverage off the fender do I get? I'm planning on going 9-10's up front and 10-12's in the back (width wise), will these provide enough extra coverage to keep the mud out of my face? On the stock tires w/o extensions I get covered in the goop, and I don't need to tell most of you how lovely coal fill and swamp mud smells. Lastly, how durable are these? Has anyone ever bought a set of universal flares from JC Whitney and used those? Had a set on my 66 Bronc and they did well.

2) When going to a heavier tire say 26-12 rear and 26-10 front (Mudhooks/Vampires/MudBugs) would I absolutely have to get a clutch kit? I'm not too concerned about coming out of the hole on two wheels or trying to drag race anyone, period. I just don't want to burn up the clutches with a heavier set of tires.

3) Speaking of clutches, do the clutches set in during or after the breakin? I'm riding on stock tires and I've noticed that it feels like the clutch is dragging unless I blip the throttle to set them in.

4) How many of you manual drivers use 2nd to do rolling starts? I don't like the idea of having to jam it into 1st gear when going 1-3 mph. However, if I don't I have to grab the throttle before the clutches feel like their solidly engaged. So it's either gear down and (to me) put extra stress on the drivetrain, or feel the clutches go up in smoke. Guess I could have burnt the clutches up, but w/ only 28 miles on the odo so far, I hope not.

5) The one-way check valves on the diffs. Has anyone ever had any troubles from these? They look and feel solid, and the underside of the axle should be taking the most of the abuse, but I'm noided all out that that springy rubber thing is going to get ripped off in a hole. Also, how good are they at keeping the mud out.

6) The stock skids, is it really pertinent to replace these? Aren't the metal ones heavier? I may climb up over the occasional log or so, but I was hoping the plastics would last me for a while. Secondly on the skids, the optional cv guards don't necessarily look any larger than the stock plastics. Has anyone torn their cv boot due to not having metal guard?

7) How waterproof is the driveline? My bud's ride honda's and their drums/axle seals seem to only hold the mud and water in. Am I going to have to drain, disassemble, clean, grease, and reassemble the diffs every time I get them buried (which I did second ride out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )

8) Winch mounting. Has anyone ever mounted a winch in the cavity between the radiator and the grill? I don't like the idea of the winch being that low on the chassis for a few reasons: 1) More exposed to the goo 2) If I ever do get a plow I want to be able to raise the plow extra high. I realize that being higher on the chassis it will be a little more unstable when pulling someone up a hill, but I think it would be better looking and be more protected. How would this effect the air flow to the radiator?

That should cover it, now to give you a little gen info about me and my riding style. This is my first realiably running quad, and most of my trail experience comes from being in my old Bronc, so I try to drive the bike like I do a truck and I know it's not good but I'm working on breaking the old habits (like wot all the way through a hole till all four are on dry ground, on last trip she rared back on me when I was doing that and almost mousetrapped me, even though it didnt feel like it my riding buddies said that's what it looked like). Most of my riding will be in the hollows and backwoods of southwestern WV and it's mostly up and down hills with the frequent mud hole. I like a sporty feel to my utilities and that's the reason I chose the vinson, but I also want to chew up the mud when I need to and am trying to find the right balance. I really had/have my heart set on those Bridgestone XXtremes but there's no way I'm getting those till I get some fender extensions, but I'm also worried they'll take all of the sport out of my sport/utility.
Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Wow, that is alot to answer. I actually saw extended flares today on ebay. I guess they are only available in canada?? go to ebaymotors and type in vinson and you will find them. Yes I agree that with the stock fenders it slings alot of mud. If you'r vinson is an automatic, you will want to strengthen the clutch if you use too aggressive of a tire on it. I mounted my winch in the factory spot and it seems to be ok. I f you go higher in the frame you aren't going to have the room, plus you'll be blocking off the radiator. I have covered my winch in water and mud and have yet to have a problem and I use it on my plow in the winter. By the way have you rode at the hatfield mcCoy trails? I would like to go there, it would be about a 1.5 hour drive for me, they look like nice trails.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

It's a manual, not an auto.
Good GOD! $300 for a set of fender extensions!?!?! Guess I'll just eat the mud then. I could have swore someone told me they were $150 or so. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Vinsons are sport quads in ute quads clothing. Get muddy! Enjoy the ride. Why mess up the sweetest looking ute available? JMHO.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

That's exactly what the dealer said today when I was getting my service manual. He then made some remarks about me riding like a P#$@! and get it in the slop and eat it with a smile. The reason I wanted to get the flairs is I'm trying to get my girl out on the bike with me and figured she'd tolerate it a little more w/o fist sized chunks of mud hitter her in the head. Speaking of unusual, my manual is for 2004 Vinsons. When I told him I had a 2k5 he said there is no difference mechanically between the 04 to 05's. We went through several of the microfiche parts layouts on http://www.scat.suz.com/ and the only difference we could find is in the rear brakes. Anyone got a login for that site they want to give up? lol j/k
Anyway, I'm going to forgoe the fender extensions as I can wash a whole lot of mud off for $300.00. I was also told that the clutches won't seat in until 100 miles give or take, so that's 1 and 3 taken care of. Now what about the rest?

Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure what your'e worried about with mud flying. I come out pretty clean from some narly rides. The sport guys are covered head to toe and I come out with nary a spot on me. The stock fenders do a pretty good job. You should look into an aftermarket bumper for the front right away. The plastic grille is very weak and does not take much abuse. Check out the new rockymountainatvmc.com catalog. They have a replacement grille that is diamond-plate aluminum. For some reason, it's not online?? I bought a Warn bumper and trail lights. It looks great. I haven't used the lights on the trail yet, but anticipate they will help in the night riding. Also, you'll want to buy a dozen or two of the plastic fender clips to keep handy. They have a tendency to pop out. Having extras with you on the trail saves you a big headache and they are easy to replace.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well I've already got the bike buried up once. Well not buried. I just bellied out on one of the ruts I was trying to ride, and in the process of trying to remove myself, I got the everything but the controls and lcd coated (the water was maybe 2 inches deep in the floorboards). My thought is this, if I goto a 12" wide rear and a 9-10" in the front, I'll not only get covered if I get buried, which WILL happen again, but I'll be getting covered just trail running or hitting the holes at speed.