Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Do I need to change my belt yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to change my belt yet?

Hey all,
I just purchased a 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750axi. The PO that I purchased it from bought it NEW in May of 2010 (yes, just 7 months ago) He runs a cabin/resort and this was one of 6 of his fleet of quads that people can use at their leisure while up at his resorts/cabins. It has 2490 miles on it and 254.4 hours on it. These miles were put on it between May of 2010 and early November 2010, at which point he put them all in the trailer and brought them down to the valley to sell them (does this every year). So it literally has 6 months of use.
He says that the maintenance is all done on schedule, but I don't know whether that means that he goes by the book, or whether just the oil gets changed, or whether things only get fixed as they are broken, etc.

I took a mechanic out to look at it before purchasing it. We did a cold start looking for smoke, checked the air filter (K&N when new he says...knows Suzuki's!), checked all fluids, checked for worn wheel bearings, test drove for any funny noises, etc, and it really is in great condition, so I bought it and got a really good deal on it also.

Upon arrival at home, I tore it down and checked everything in detail. No frame cracks (There is one bent piece up in front, but not the actual "frame", from hitting a rock), and nothing out of the ordinary. The front brakes are a little thin so I'm going to replace them. The rear is well within the range indicator. Tires are SHOT so I'll be replacing them along with rims (anybody got a line on a cheap set of rims?...these are bent up pretty bad). Basically, I've decided to go thru and replace all fluids, spark plug, run some injector cleaner thru it, re-oil the air filter, buy new tires and rims and brakes then run it!

My biggest question...do I need to replace the drive belt yet? I took the cover off and inspected it. Very little dust inside the cover, and no wear anywhere. Belt has still got that "supple" feel to it. I have no idea if it's been replaced...I doubt it. It looks original. No markings on it whatsoever.
Remember...the machine has 2490 miles on it, but is really only 6 months old! Would you replace the belt at this point? If so, after research, I've narrowed it down to either the Dayco XTX2234 Xtreme, or the Carlisle Ultimax. Both are under $100. Anyone have any experience with either of these two belts?

THANKS! in advance!

Randy

Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i wouldnt replace it till you feel it slip or you hear a whining noise from the housing. There are alot of atvs with 5,000 plus miles on them with original belts. if the atvs were not to haul,ridden hard,in deep mud,ect...then the belt probably doesnt have alot of wear on it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply! It does have a whining noise with the cover on (pretty quiet...sounds normal), and with the cover off the whining is way more obvious. I thought that was normal sounding for this system however? There are some utube videos out there and it sounds just like those so I thought that was normal sounding. Maybe I'm wrong! No slippage yet that I can detect.

If the belt does need to be replaced, would you use one of the two I mentioned or would you go with the stock expensive Suzuki belt?

Thanks again!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Agree if the belt is looking good it is probably just fine.

Just some food for thought have my manual in front of me right now and Suzuki suggests replacement of the drive belt every 1200 miles.

But then again they will probably say to replace something like that sooner rather than later since it is so important and they don't want any lawsuits for faulty parts. My guess if they say 1200 they probably last the 5000 miles as mentioned in the prior post on a regular basis when they test them.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

With 2500 miles on it, there has to be some wear. If it were me, I would replace it, and keep the used one for a spare. I've heard both good and bad about aftermarket belts... but have never heard anything bad about OEM belts... I would go OEM.

If you planning on going to bigger/taller/heavier tires, why you are replacing the belt, you could do the shim mod.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Range Rover

I have about 7800km about 4850 miles on my original belt since August 2004. I checked it back about May 2010 looked like new. I do plenty of towing logs and rough trail riding but I always use Low 4x4 for towing and climbing hills, and breaking trails through deep snow.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Whats the shim mod?