Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quick question re: stator pickup coil

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
I have never replaced just a pick up coil, I have always replaced the stator and coil as one unit. However, I don't see any reason that you can't do what your saying. Snip, take wires thru grommet, solder and use heat shrink for protection of the wires/soldered area.
Maybe more savvy ( in this area ) folks will get in here and help. OPT, Merryman...ect.
Thanks Fasteratv! Lets hope this works! LOL!!!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Range Rover
Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Pick up is entirely separate from the stator. A coil into itself. You can hook up the new pick up coil,snip the old coil wires,pull them out of the grommet. Pull the new wires through the grommet and run then up to the cdi connector. Splice the two new wires into stubby ends left on the cdi connector when you cut the old pick up coil wires at that end. Do a temporary splice as you want to check for spark once you have the stator cover back on. If no spark with the plug grounded on the cylinder,reverse the pick up coil leads at the connector as there is an IN and OUT wire on the pickup coil.Wire colors and orientation may not always jive with your wires on the connector when installing a new coil. Forget about the old pickup wire in the harness. Just leave it as is if you want as it ain't hooked to nothing at either end now. You just bypassed it like a car jumping off the highway and taking a dirt road.. Hope this new coil finally solves your problem..

Thanks OPT!!!! That is the answer I was looking for! I'll let you all know how this "pulserectomy" works as soon as I get the part and install it.

You guys ROCK, and I am so happy that this forum is here to help!
Jackie

Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well, is it running? I certainly hope so....let ut know ......Rick

Old 02-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Range Rover
Red face Not yet

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
Well, is it running? I certainly hope so....let ut know ......Rick
Hey Rick,
I got the new gasket yesterday, and HOPING to get the pick up/pulser today! I have a good feeling about this being the problem. But, if it isn't, I got a decent looking wire harness off ebay last week. I can't imagine the harness being better than mine, but... who knows? I hope I get this thing running this weekend since we're supposed to be getting some decent snow next week and I'll need to plow the driveway. It will take me a while to put this thing all back together beacuse as of now, it's just 4 tires, a motor, frame, and handlebars! LOL!

I'll keep ya posted!
Jackie

Old 02-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
Thumbs up So Far so GOOD!

I got the pulser/pick up yesterday and got the crankcase put together today. The ATV started right up and ran perfectly. I won't trust it until it starts and runs for a few days, and I won't put the plastics back on until I know this is THE FIX! Certainly looks as though it is! Tomorrow I will get it ready to bring some firewood over to the house (without the fenders) and I will also check to see what kind of spark I have. It's not been very good when it did spark in the last few weeks. It was pale and weak. I'm hoping to see a nice fat blue spark!!! I'll post my results in a few days.

Thanks guys!
Jackie (doing a little happy dance)

Old 02-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
I got the pulser/pick up yesterday and got the crankcase put together today. The ATV started right up and ran perfectly. I won't trust it until it starts and runs for a few days, and I won't put the plastics back on until I know this is THE FIX! Certainly looks as though it is! Tomorrow I will get it ready to bring some firewood over to the house (without the fenders) and I will also check to see what kind of spark I have. It's not been very good when it did spark in the last few weeks. It was pale and weak. I'm hoping to see a nice fat blue spark!!! I'll post my results in a few days.

Thanks guys!
Jackie (doing a little happy dance)
Well, I think you got it! But yes, hold off on all that plastic work until you know for sure....You go!

Old 02-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd cross my fingers for ya if I could,but hope the "pulserectomy" as you called it solves this..

Old 02-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Range Rover
Thumbs up So far.. so good! :-)

It's been six days and the ATV is starting and running perfectly. In fact, it hasn't run this good in a long time. Yesterday, the temperature in the morning was MINUS 11 and she started, albeit, a little slow cranking at first, but she started, warmed up and ran for a very long time without shutting down once. (I always have a battery tender hooked up in the winter)

I really think the pulser/pickup was the problem, guys! :-)
Jackie

Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 02-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome Jackie!

Quick Reply: Quick question re: stator pickup coil