Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quick question re: stator pickup coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Man this still sounds like the same symptoms old D-Ray found,but if the flywheel magnets are in good shape and you're positive on the stator,then could either be in the left control switch(since you replaced the ignition switch) or an internal wiring harness short. I've had to replace many harnesses also,not mainly from shorts but from field mice that loved to eat plastic. Not that hard of a job if you just work from the rear to the front and disconnect one thing at a time while moving the old harness out of the way. If you can't find the problem in the left switch or it's wiring,then I'm down to that. Beyond that stick me with a fork,I'm done.. Plus I did look back on some old posts on you repairing stator wiring. Perchance you might recheck this area.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a thought here is there a ground wire from motor to frame needed?? since battery ground is bolted to motor just kinda sounds like a loose or missing ground like my 85 lt230g had but it would idle all day but under throttle went shooting for ducks

Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dammar
just a thought here is there a ground wire from motor to frame needed?? since battery ground is bolted to motor just kinda sounds like a loose or missing ground like my 85 lt230g had but it would idle all day but under throttle went shooting for ducks

Hey Dammar; funny that you mentioned that. Yesterday, as I stood looking at the ATV totally disgusted, I thought about putting another ground to the frame. I think I did this 7 years ago when I had problems before. If I remember correctly, I used a jumper cable! LOL!!! It didn't help then, but perhaps it will help this time????? (I'll do it the proper way this time!)

I just remembered somethinhg about how it ran on Friday. I was starting up the hill in my backyard. Normal throttle pressure and moving along nicely. Then, without giving it more throttle, it sped up like it got better spark or something. Anyone have an idea.. does this help to diagnose the problem?

Jackie (still scratching her head)

Old 01-31-2016, 07:56 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Man this still sounds like the same symptoms old D-Ray found,but if the flywheel magnets are in good shape and you're positive on the stator,then could either be in the left control switch(since you replaced the ignition switch) or an internal wiring harness short. I've had to replace many harnesses also,not mainly from shorts but from field mice that loved to eat plastic. Not that hard of a job if you just work from the rear to the front and disconnect one thing at a time while moving the old harness out of the way. If you can't find the problem in the left switch or it's wiring,then I'm down to that. Beyond that stick me with a fork,I'm done.. Plus I did look back on some old posts on you repairing stator wiring. Perchance you might recheck this area.
It really does sound like the flywheel magnets, doesn't it? They looked great when I tore it down. They were very magnetic and seemed to be well secured to the rotor. When the machine runs, it sounds great. It's just a matter of keeping it running! LOL!!! I am waiting to hear from the guy on eBay re: my last offer on the wiring harness. Like I said before; I will check it out well, then put it in. If that doesn't help, I guess it's either the left start switch or the stator/pickup. What else is there????? (I'll check the left switch today) If the switch checks out good, and the wiring harness doesn't help... I guess the only thing left is to get another stator/pickup and rip her down again.... UGH!

I use this ATV to plow my driveway and to bring firewood over to the house, it's never been a toy, just a working machine. I know it's old, but it runs great (when it runs LOL!!) and really helps me here in Northern NY (40 miles from Canada) You mentioned mice.. well, I have mice AND red squirrels that love to play in the woodshed where the ATV is usually parked. HHhhmmmm..........

Jackie ( holding a gallon of gas and a match!)

Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=AdirondackGal;3314024]You mean to tell me, you didn't hear me screaming last night? It still is messed up, however, it does start more often and run for longer periods of time. In fact, I took it for a ride last night and it ran great! But, I just knew it was too good to be true! This morning, it started and died, started and died, many times, then suddenly it sprang to life and kept running for about 30 minutes. I shut it off, came in the house for a little while, went back out, and it won't start again. Apparently it isn't the CDI, huh? GGgrrrrrrrr!!!! Before I shut it down, I flexed every wire on the thing and it never faultered.
Oh, when I went outside for a few minutes last night,,,that screaming I heard was you?. Sorry the CDI fix it for you. As someone else had mentioned, intermittant problems are the worst one can have. I see that you have done the AC volts test on the stator, did you do the resistance ckecks on the stator and pick up coil? And as another mentioned, have you checked/cleaned all grounds?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

[QUOTE=Fasteratv;3314088]
Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
You mean to tell me, you didn't hear me screaming last night? It still is messed up, however, it does start more often and run for longer periods of time. In fact, I took it for a ride last night and it ran great! But, I just knew it was too good to be true! This morning, it started and died, started and died, many times, then suddenly it sprang to life and kept running for about 30 minutes. I shut it off, came in the house for a little while, went back out, and it won't start again. Apparently it isn't the CDI, huh? GGgrrrrrrrr!!!! Before I shut it down, I flexed every wire on the thing and it never faultered.
Oh, when I went outside for a few minutes last night,,,that screaming I heard was you?. Sorry the CDI fix it for you. As someone else had mentioned, intermittant problems are the worst one can have. I see that you have done the AC volts test on the stator, did you do the resistance ckecks on the stator and pick up coil? And as another mentioned, have you checked/cleaned all grounds?
Yes, I have done resistance checks on the stator throughout this entire time. I always wondered why the test results were changing, but still within the limits of the manual. Today, I cleaned grounds, took the left handlebar switch assembly apart (quite an adventure BTW!), and reohmed wires. The entire time, this thing wouldn't even fire once. Tonight, a neighbor came by and I showed him how this ATV would crank and had no spark. It STARTED!!!! REALLY????? It started and died twice. Then absolutely NOTHING. I immediately checked the stator resistances again, and they were fine. However... the three yellow wires were a different story. They ohmed out fine, but showed continuity to ground! Something is grounding out in the stator windings, right? Apparently, changes in temperatures affect the stator and when it's open, the ATV starts, and when it's grounded..... NO SPARK.

Does this all make sense, or am I just hoping there is an end to all of this?
Jackie ( who is getting very tired testing this thing!)

Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bad stator..Yellow wires from the charging coil must be shorting the rest of it out someway or another.Plus regulator might be fried also?

Old 01-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Range Rover
Thumbs up B i n g o!!!!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Bad stator..Yellow wires from the charging coil must be shorting the rest of it out someway or another.Plus regulator might be fried also?
Yup, that is what I have to believe, and now you have verified it. My Stator is toast. Good! LOL!!! Hopefully there will be an end to this nightmare. Unfortunately, it involves a lot of work to get the left crankcase cover off again! UGH, I am absolutely DREADING it! But, I did it a week or so ago, should be a bit easier, huh? hahahahaha! Right from the start I thought stator, but it kept testing correctly. I am looking at electrosport stators via Amazon. ( I have a spare regulator/rectifier :-)

Thanks Old Polaris Tech! :-)
Jackie

Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, those stator phases should read "open" to ground.....always.
- Check the stator again...note results
- Disconnect the connector ( from Stator ), check again
You probably found the issue but, follow the yellow wires out and ensure you check the connector and the wiring going to the reg/rect ( from stator ).....just to make sure none of the wires are chafed and grounding somewhere.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
Yep, those stator phases should read "open" to ground.....always.
- Check the stator again...note results
- Disconnect the connector ( from Stator ), check again
You probably found the issue but, follow the yellow wires out and ensure you check the connector and the wiring going to the reg/rect ( from stator ).....just to make sure none of the wires are chafed and grounding somewhere.
Good idea FasterATV. I hope they're chaffed somewhere!! Certainly would be a lot easier than tearing this thing apart again. OMG! LOL!!! (am I REALLY laughing?????) I'll check those wires tomorrow and reply back with results.

Quick Reply: Quick question re: stator pickup coil