Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Starting circuit cut-off relay clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting circuit cut-off relay clicking

So, I always read as much as possible to try to find answers on my own before posting, but there are just too many posts relating to starter solenoids and cut-off relays so I am giving up on this one.

I'm still working on my 87 Moto 4 350. The guy who I bought the quad from said that it needed a starter relay. He already bought a new battery but it was dead when I got it. Before ordering the relay I charged the battery and tried starting it. There is a clicking sound when I try to start it but it isn't coming from the starter relay (solenoid), it is coming from the starting circuit cut-off relay. The weird thing is that when I jump the start it with my truck it turns over fine. I replaced all of the battery cables thinking that I had a bad connection but I still get the clicking. My questions are: Does this mean that the new battery is too weak? It's putting out 12 volts when I check it with my mutimeter. Why does it turn over when jumping it? This proves that the starter relay and the starting circuit cut-off relay are in working order correct?

Thank you for any input. My electrical skills are very limited, that is actually why I decided to start working on quads and dirt bikes, I want to learn more (and I love to ride them!)