Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Show Us Your Yammie At Work...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show Us Your Yammie At Work...

Hey all ! I'm knda new to this forum...and still kinda new to owning a quad. I originally got it to trail ride when I go to the Ozarks, or to tool me around at the campgrounds...

The other day, I realized there's a lot more to these handy ATV's than I realized...especially when it came to moving my new safe to the basement...

I used my '05 Grizzly 660 to lower a 650lb safe into my basement.. Of course, once I was 100% committed to the project, my Warn 2500 decided to stop working. "Plan B" got the job done, though... I just backed up 15' or so, spooled out the proper amount of cable and just inched the bike forward til the safe was in the basement. There were no mishaps besides the issue with the winch, it only took about 30 minutes (including trying to fix the winch, and change plans).

Here's some pics...

These are the tools...
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

I moved the 650lb safe to the back of the trailer so it hung off the back a few inches...

Stack up some bricks or equivilent to raise up the trailer so its a few inches above the surface you want to roll the safe onto...

Make you some "Egyptian Rollers" ...I used some PVC pipe that I cut into 12" pieces.

Roll the safe onto the Egyptian Rollers...

Roll it on into your house...It's remarkably easy, you can push it one-handed with no problems....
Click this bar to view the full image.

Put a couple 2'x4's on the stairs to use as runners...

Use a couple heavy ratchet straps to use as an anchor for your winch hook...Be sure to cover up anything you don't want scratched with cardboard and whatnot...

This whole thing seems to slap safety in the face, but be as safe as you can... I put my front wheels against the steps, and fastened the back of the bike to my Explorer's trailer hitch.

Now that everything is anchored down, slowly pay out the cable with your winch. Do NOT have anyone at the bottom of the stairs, just in case this thing lets loose!

Wait...The dang winch doesn't work. "Plan B" Back up 15' or so and pay out the right amount of cable. Lock the winch and make SURE it's locked! Make sure the bike is in Park and not going anywhere. This is actually better to have at least two people... Get the safe positioned to where all you have to do is inch forward to get it going down the stairs...

Down we go... Be sure to be ready with the brakes, you can feel that sucker want to drag your bike forward.

Once it's at the bottom, you can use the 2'x4' runners to easily tilt the safe to it's upright position. It was actually more difficult to move the safe around the basement on a dolly than it was to lower it down the stairs.

All in all, it was kind of a fun project... I think it was actually safer than getting three buddies to try and muscle that thing down the stairs. I don't want to tell you about the fiasco of getting a soda machine in my basement last year, it slipped and nearly crushed one of my buddies. This way, no one is on the bottom and in harm's way. Although, the safest way would be to have a moving company do it for you, but I didn't have an extra $300.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice,

I am also new to owning a atv, They are almost as bad as a car when it comes to cost (Well the older ones anyways) I use mine to boot back and forth to work, 10 miles each way. And fill up every 4th day.