Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Choke leaking gas into carb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke leaking gas into carb?

I have been trying to pin point my carb issue on my 1998 big bear and I think my carb is flooding. I replaced all my jets and needle. I have cleaned the carb thoroughly. I am wondering if the issue is with the choke? The choke was stuck and wouldn't pull out past half choke, so I squirted some carb cleaner in there behind the gasket and it finally broke loose and was able to be pulled out to full choke. It seems now that the carb is flooding at idle. It actually won't idle and stalls out and dies. Is there something in the choke plunger that could be letting gas through and cause the flooding?

I can't get a wrench around the choke plunger nut due to clearances. I have no idea how to get it off to check inside for issues.

I need any help I can get.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 AM
Range Rover

If you replaced gaskets from a kit when you did the jets and needle and like you say thoroughly cleaned it maybe the float level should be checked. If the choke was stuck shut and gas running out the bottom of the carb I could see a choke problem but if its in a stuck open position I can't see why you'd think it was that. Or maybe you could try adjusting the idle screw or idle speed. I'm sure you'll get some ideas from post from others with more knowledge. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Yep check your float level and the float needle valve and seat may need replacing if you haven't done so already. I don't see how the choke could let more fuel in, that's the float assembly's job.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the float level and it is at .52"

The choke was stuck shut, so when I finally got it loose and moving properly I was thinking the o-ring on the plunger might have been damaged? Would a damaged o-ring let excess fuel into the carb even with the choke off?