Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Carb Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Carb Rebuild

I recently got a 1996 sportsman 500 low miles and low hours. Starting to have bad carb issues. backfires and no WOT top speed around 30. I have pulled the carb but can not figure how to disconnect the throttle cable and choke cable. Read service manual but not clear to me. I need some help? Can some wise man give me some hard learned info? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

May not be the carb. Pull the valve cover and check the cam exhaust lobe. Backfiring,usually wont take any throttle is a common symptom on the worst ones that have ground down lobes.Even with low hrs and miles could be the problem. Here's one from a 500 Scrambler.Bad Cam Pic - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community If the cam is ok pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module and see if that helps. When they short out they can exhibit the same symptoms,limiting in forward range,back firing.Item#31 on the parts breakdown. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I got the backfire prolem resolved with some carb cleaner. It no idles and takes the gas well until about mid throttle and then it starts to bog down. This atv has been sitting for a while and owned by older men that only used for hunting yearly. It has 600 miles and very few hrs. I already have the carb off but the issue is the cables and how to disconnect. I do not have a clue about the cam or the other part you spoke of. New to atvs and parts. Real learnin experience. I have 20 pics so far just to get the carb off with everything else.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You have to remove the plate covering the cable assy. Turn the wheel that the cable is on to get the cable end past the brass lock in piece. Pull the slotted brass piece out and the cable can be removed from the carb. Don't lose this little brass piece! I've had to crawl on the concrete before looking for them,not fun at all. The choke cable holder unscrews from the carb. Take a cheap open end wrench(14mm),grind the round ends to where the wrench is flat,this will give you room to grab the sides of the holder to loosen it and remove. Item #40 is the brass cable guide lock,#44 is the choke holder nut. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Carb kits are getting expensive for the 96-98 models,but still cheaper to buy the kit rather than just the oem needle and seat which I'd always replace.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-POLARIS-SPORTSMAN-500-CARBURETOR-CARB-REBUILD-KIT-Rebuilds-3130665-r516-/231574329082?hash=item35eae7d6fa&vxp=mtr Plus here's the pdf fuel section from the manual. Shows how to clean the carb,adjust float level if needed.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.aWw&cad=rja

Old 07-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer
Smile

OK I have it all loose. I saw the brass pin and did move it but it did not come out. It may be slotted, I will check and see if I can get it out since I now know it comes out. I thought there might be a clip or something on the back holding it in place. I got the choke cable loose and even unscrewed the threaded sleeve but the cable felt like it was still attached to something, maybe hard since it has most likely never been removed since built. I will check tomorrow if it ever stops raining. Thanks for your time and information.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes this little piece is slotted to go over the cable and into the cut out hole. Also the larger recessed hole in this guide locks the cable end in place.May take razor knife to pry it out enough to grab a hold of it.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 83 Suzuki 125 3 wheeler

I just put an upgraded regulator to make it from 6 to 12 volts not j just got some new led lights for it and they work great at an iddle but when I give it gas they dim out all the way

Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Snacks
I just put an upgraded regulator to make it from 6 to 12 volts not j just got some new led lights for it and they work great at an iddle but when I give it gas they dim out all the way
Post any Suzuki questions or problems here.https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/