Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Correct Warrior battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Warrior battery

Hi guys,

While testing batteries I tried to resurrect by refilling cells with distilled water and putting on a float charger for several hours, I discovered that my Lakota battery was slightly too big to fit in the Warrior (I tested it in there since the battery is under the seat on the Warrior compared to in a box under the fender on the Lakota). I looked up the batteries and a 14A-A2 battery is for the Lakota, and a 12C-A battery for the Warrior. The only significant difference seems to be that the Warrior's is about 1/4" less wide (in the smaller direction, front to back when installed in the Warrior). The Lakota battery can be pushed down in the Warrior's battery compartment but it's extremely difficult to pull back out, and I can tell that the plastic tabs that hold the battery in place are being stressed with it in there.

I went to Walmart and got an EverStart AGM battery for the Lakota, 14AH-BS. On paper, it seemed that the width was slightly smaller than Yuasa's 14A-A2 but slightly bigger than the 12C-A, but I figured it might be good enough to put in the Warrior. But, no, it's still a tight squeeze (it's amazing what a good battery will do for getting the engine started, though!).

Yuasa only gives a standard lead-acid part number for the Warrior. With the Lakota, they have very close specs and part numbers of the EverStart AGM (for all I know they probably made it). Does anyone know of an AGM version of this 12C-A battery for a Warrior? What have you had good/bad luck with? I wouldn't mind getting another standard Yuasa since they seem to be a great bang for the buck, and the location in the Warrior makes it easy to get at to maintain, but I like the idea of having sealed cells. I ride in some very bumpy terrain and the batteries were always losing water.

Thanks for any input you might have!

- Eric

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Looked on Yuasa's chart,but as you mentioned doesn't show one. Bike Master does,but is fairly expensive. Good batteries. We stocked Bike Master(came from Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky,can't remember who our supplier was) along with Yuasa and Interstate.
Amazon.com: 1987-2003 Yamaha YFM350X Warrior ATV Deep Cycle TruGel Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: 1987-2003 Yamaha YFM350X Warrior ATV Deep Cycle TruGel Battery: Automotive

Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry for the long-overdue reply. Thanks for the reference -- I'll keep that battery in mind next time, if there is one; I didn't want to spend that much on batteries for the Warriors, considering I have no idea how much longer we'll have them (parents split up and this house with our 35 acres of land, plus the private dirt road and secondary trails that span several miles, is supposed to be sold this year). I ended up buying the stock Yuasas from the dealer.

In hindsight, what I think I should have done is to modify the battery cavity to accommodate the 14AH-BS battery. The EverStart AGM battery seems to be incredible in the Lakota (which I want to keep even if I don't end up living in an ideal ATV place immediately). I've never heard that thing crank over so fast, and even though it hasn't ran for a few weeks, it still has a good 12.74 volts in it. Seems all the hype about high performance and holding a charge for a long time is true!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Don't over think the wheel barrow, I just measure what will fit in the battery cradle and head down to Wal-Mart for a $40 12v Everstart ATV/Snowmobile battery.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

True... and maintenance is key. I'm stuck with the ones from the dealership since Warriors have a very slightly smaller cradle than others. There's plenty of space overall for the regular battery, so I'm not sure why they made it that way.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Slightly bigger cradle is better because you can use anything (cardboard) to fill in the space.

I had a friend with a car battery on the back rack with jumpers until he got around to getting the right battery.