General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Tough Decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:40 AM
bbrrraaaaAAAAPPPPP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Decision

I can't decide whether to get a Warrior or 400ex unsure emoticon. The Warrior needs a back tire and starter switch, possibly a battery and is $700. The 400ex needs brakes (I'd just get a back caliper and leave the fronts non-functioning for the time being) and is $800.

Pros of 400ex: It's known to be bulletproof, power, suspension, rather new ('02), basically a better all-around quad.

Pros of Warrior: Cheaper, also reliable, but not as much, 6-speed, has reverse.

Which one should I go for? The 400ex is attractive to me because it's a thing I could be satisfied with the rest of my life, but I might be hungering for more power with the Warrior. But the Warrior is cheaper and I've heard great things about them. Plus, they have reverse. I don't mind working on a quad either, I feel it'll get me to like the quad more.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

400ex is the better choice in my opinion. At under $1000 for either of them, they're both cheap. The 400ex is the better bargain though. Assuming both are stock, the 400ex easily will outperform the warrior as far as power and handling are concerned. You'd need to put quite a bit of money into upgrades to get the warrior to equal a stock 400ex. Reverse is nice but these are sport quads, you won't really use it much for the kind of riding they're designed for. For unloading off a truck or trailer, just put it in neutral and push it, they're not that heavy.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd go with the 400ex.

Only $100 difference in the two, and you need a tire, a battery and a start switch for the warrior to run. All electrical. I'd be leery of more electrical problems it may be hiding.

Even if they were both in pristine condition, at $100 difference the 400ex is a much better deal.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

400ex, buy why are there no brakes? I find it hard to believe front and rear went out at the same time, makes me suspicious as to what other maintenance was neglected.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
400ex, buy why are there no brakes? I find it hard to believe front and rear went out at the same time, makes me suspicious as to what other maintenance was neglected.
That's why its only $800. If it were in great shape it would easily be worth more than twice that.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by greg74
That's why its only $800. If it were in great shape it would easily be worth more than twice that.
I know. I havery loomed at a few "classics" over the years. Never have purchased one with missing brake parts. Every one I have ever seen like that was a maintenance nightmare in other areas as well. Riding an atv, at least in my area, without brakes is pretty dangerous. The whole thing just gives me bad vibes.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by greg74
I sold a 94 F-150 to a girl for $1,700 nine years ago and she complained about a little rust and a ripped seat and no horn.
I told her if it was mint, I would be selling it on Berret Jackson for a lot more . LOL

Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 AM
bbrrraaaaAAAAPPPPP

Originally Posted by Scooter86
I know. I havery loomed at a few "classics" over the years. Never have purchased one with missing brake parts. Every one I have ever seen like that was a maintenance nightmare in other areas as well. Riding an atv, at least in my area, without brakes is pretty dangerous. The whole thing just gives me bad vibes.
I wouldn't do any riding in trails without buying at least back brakes.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:12 AM
bbrrraaaaAAAAPPPPP

Thanks for the replies, guys. I went with a different Warrior tho, it looks great. I'll post some pics in a bit. Would've went with the 400 if he would've responded. The Warrior is in pretty much perfect condition, just no spark. Already got a new plug, so need to test the stator and pickup coil to see which I need. Anyone know how to test them? Got the stator cover off and don't know which wires to test resistance on. And might sound like a dumb question, but what was in the case? Was it motor oil or gear oil? Didn't see a drop on my dipstick.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Motor oil in the case. Should be Jaso rated, or at least not have the energy conserving seal on it for the happiness of your clutch. Not sure about testing those components, here is where a quality shop manual pays for itself though.

Quick Reply: Tough Decision