Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can someone explain how different size CVT weights impact engagment

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got in the mail my next issue of ATV/UTV rider magazine where author gows into a bit more detail in regards to the differences between the new Kodiak and the new Grizzly. To correct what I said earlier "CVT weights on the new Kodiak 700 are about 18 grams whereas the weights on the Grizzly 700 are about 33 grams" is wrong. Turns out the Kodiak gets the heavier weights and the Grizzly get lighter weights....so I had it backwards. The heavier weights according to the writeup give the Kodiak a more relaxed engine RPM for a given speed. Besides the clutch weights the entire driveline is the same including the new air intake, higher compression, and DOHC. The Kodiak features lower thicker fenders, lower seat height, lower handle bars (so to feel as though you are sitting in it as opposed to on top of it). The only downside seems to be the reduction in front suspension travel which on the Kodiak drops down to 7.1 inches from 7.6 inches (not sure if anyone would notice a 1/2 inch). But that is all I can remember reading.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Weight swap

Originally Posted by greg74
Sounds like buy a Kodiak and change the clutch weights might be a viable option then. Maybe someone will do that on here and give us the inside scoop.
did you swap the weights?

Old 04-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikie East
did you swap the weights?
I've never owned one. A clutch kit is something I would consider for the King Quad 750 I just bought about a month ago. I think in the case of the King Quad 750, the gearing is a little tall. It has great top end speed but the low end isn't quite as strong as it could be. Don't get me wrong, its still good but it just seems like it should be a little stronger. I'd sacrifice a few mph on the top end to get a little stronger boost on low end. That's basically what a clutch kit does. It might not go 70 mph on top end anymore but there is almost never a case when I can go that fast anyway. 60 mph top end and stronger low end cvt engagement would be better for trail riding.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"I'd sacrifice a few mph on the top end to get a little stronger boost on low end."

Run it in low box, but I would go for higher gearing every time, the KQ 450 to 750 gearing is just about spot on in high.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

By coincidence, we sold out first 700 Kodiak yesterday, not too impressed, size wise about the same as a 400 King Quad, much smaller than the 550 Grizzly it is replacing. Seems a "budget" machine, and the engine is both rough and noisy compared to the 500 King Quads and Honda 420s we usually sell. However the King Quads suffer from terminal frame breakages so, if it is as reliable as the 550 Grizzlies it may be a good bike.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Correct

Originally Posted by greg74
Sounds like buy a Kodiak and change the clutch weights might be a viable option then. Maybe someone will do that on here and give us the inside scoop.
as a kodiak owner (well its the wife's) looking up everything for her quad I've found that kodiak is a grizzly just with less options therefore cheaper the top of the line kodiak was just under what the top of the line grizzly has (options wise) and cost now that was when they was first built on into the mid 2000s now who knows!!!