Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Winch not working right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch not working right?

I purchased a 450 Grizzly with winch installed earlier this year. Really didn't see a need for it but since it came with the Grizzly what the heck, right? Just to see how it works the other day I hooked it to a small tree I had cut that was hanging close to our driveway that was wrapped with many vines and briars. The winch would not spool out by the switch. Actually when I pressed the button "out" it tightened the cable and I had one hell of a time getting it to manually release. "In" does nothing and "out" makes it come in. I see a big relay under the seat and assume this is for the winch? Could it be the relay needs replacing or the switch and what would be the easiest way to test and find out? I am pretty mechanically inclined but kind of suck on electrical issues which I assume this to be. Thanks in advance for any help or tips!!!!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the contactor (relay) but more likely it is a bad connection. Either something has corroded or perhaps even come apart. The line is just wound backwards on the spool, or perhaps even the main power connections to the winch have been reversed causing the switch "out" to be "in." Probably done that way after the one direction stopped working to keep the winch serviceable in a pinch.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My switch just screwed up as well. The "In" quit working but the "Out" still worked. I reverse the wires at the relay and winch.
Now I have "IN" but have to free spool for "OUT" now.

If I just revese wires at the winch alone it works but it,s more confusing since "Out" will cause it to come "IN" " .
Reversing at both the winch and relay keeps the switch (in/out) wording correct.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

It's not a big deal I guess being I can spool it out manually. Tapping the button twice sure made it fun to release it, I do know better now. I guess I just like things to work right! I quickly learned out is in and manual release. Not bad being I have never had a winch in my life. P.S. the tree vines did give way too!

Last edited by Bratman2; 07-23-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Almost forgot. Thanks for your replies!