1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Meercat 50 has no power and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005 | 03:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Meercat 50 has no power and stalls

Hello

Bought a Meercat 50 from my buddy who deployed to Iraq. It was brand new and only ridden twice. After 2 months of riding by my sons, the engine lost power and started to stall. It would run fine when cold, but once it warmed up it would start to screw up. I called KazumaUSA and got a guy called Jason at Jackal Motorsports who said it was definitely the CDI. I purchased the CDI but low and behold it didn't help. So not being a small engine expert, my opinion is that either my valves are out of adjustment or the carb is not working properly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2005 | 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a carb problem. I would take it off and clean it completely. Have you tryed adjusting the idle screw and air/mixture screw?

Old 04-22-2005 | 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Also have you cleaned the air filter. I cleaned mine after my son rode for two weeks and it was real dirty and actually let some dirt past it into the carb. I now oilded my air filter and cleaned out the carb. Helped alot.

Old 04-23-2005 | 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have you checked the position of your choke?

Old 04-23-2005 | 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

i think the choke is the problem. i had the exact same problem. what was happening was that while the quad was being ridden, the bumps and vibration would slowly raise the choke lever up. it took me a while to figure this out. i just wired it down....problem solved!. mine will even start without the choke.

Old 05-06-2005 | 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

We bought a Redcat 50 for our son for Christmas,and I'm sorry to say that I wish I'd have spent a little extra $ and bought a Honda, Yamaha, etc. I thought for the first month or so that it was great. It started easy (never needing to be choked), and ran great. Then one day he wanted to ride. He got on, tried to start it and couldn't. It took me about 30 minutes to finally get it started and when I did it had very little power. I cleaned the air filter, drained the carburator, changed the oil and spark plugs and had no luck. I took it to the guy we bought it from to have him check it out. As I was looking at it with him, I noticed that the intake was cracked. After a week, he finally got it replaced and I picked it up. It was still hard to start, and had no power. The same day I got it back from him, my son was riding it and before the day was over, would you believe, the intake cracked again. Aggrivated with it, I called another local dealer, who I heard was pretty knowledgeable with small engines, and took it to him to work on. He quickly replaced the intake, and found that the carburator was so close to the frame that it was causing the intake to break off. He used a spreader bar to bend the frame out slightly enough to allow room for the carburator. That fixed that problem. He then said that the reason why it was so hard to start before, was that the valves needed to be adjusted. He did that and it started right up. It ran great for about 4 days, and here we are again. It's impossible to start and when it does, it has NO POWER. I'd like to know exactly how to adjust the valves, if someone thinks that it might help again. Thanks, Mark

Old 05-06-2005 | 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Mark,
Well I've had mine for a month or two. I've noticed some loss of power as it can't climb hills. I wonder if adjusting the valves will help that? Well I tryed to adjust mine but I can't get a feeler gauge that fits in there to check the clearence. Well I had the manual in a PDF. I sent you a private message. Reply with your email addy and I will send it to you. It tells how to adjust the valves and other things.

Jim

Old 05-06-2005 | 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Mark,
Actually I just found a link to it. Here ya go Redcat 50 Manual

Let me know if it helps you.

Jim

Old 05-06-2005 | 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jim, Thanks for the reply and the link. I just got back from purchasing a new set of feeler gauges. I'm going to try and work on it tonight. I need to get this thing going, my son's about to disown me.
Thanks again,
Mark

Old 05-06-2005 | 08:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Just so everyone knows. I completely disassembled my Meercat 50 carb. Soaked it, sprayed it, dryed it with compressed air and reassembled. I set the idle and mixture screws to the settings I got from this site and it won't start. I am almost positive it is my valves. I'm pissed. I've had weed wackers and lawn mowers that have gone years with normal care. I do not want to keep buying different parts until it is fixed so I am going to bring it to someone. I think I will sell it once it runs. Should have bought a Honda or Suzuki.

Quick Reply: Meercat 50 has no power and stalls