1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

"New" Kazuma Meerkat

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawyer
Brand name quads sure as heck don't hold their "new price" value thats for sure!

Used price value they do hold and if you can find a decent one for sure. I checked the specs on those Suzuki LT80's and they are pretty nice. I don't like 2 stokers but oh well. I didn't check but do they have reverse? Little guys like that feature. For a beginner quad for around the yard priced right I'd have to agree those things look real good. I like that they have a CVT trans too.

For an older boy maybe one could find say a used Suzuki 160, I don't remember what year they made them. My in-law has an older one in his shop his boys had and they took that thing into the mountain trails.

I like them old Suzuki's the made the first production quad I believe.
By holding their value I was referring more to the fact you can still get almost a thousand dollars out of an ATV thats over 20 years old......vs the fact Ive never seen a Chinese ATV last over 5 years.....unless its being looked it instead of ridden. Thats why alot of people cant get over the fact my 1988 LT80 cost me $750......"why!?, you can get a new ATV for $500"......then they are over next week for advice trying to get keep their "new" ATV running while my son is still riding his old one.

New doesnt equal good

Old doesnt equal worthless

The LT80 has no reverse.....it has no neutral....there are no gears so to speak. Start button to start.....thumb throttle to go.....brakes to stop.....fairly simple.

Im looking around for Kawasaki Bayou 220s, Honda Fourtrax 200s, Yamaha Breeze 160s etc for my son to move up to......heck Im still riding a Honda Fourtrax 200 and going everywhere I want to on the trails.

Suzuki did make the first 4 wheeled ATV, atleast in the standard config we now associate with a ATV.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
By holding their value I was referring more to the fact you can still get almost a thousand dollars out of an ATV thats over 20 years old......vs the fact Ive never seen a Chinese ATV last over 5 years.....unless its being looked it instead of ridden. Thats why alot of people cant get over the fact my 1988 LT80 cost me $750......"why!?, you can get a new ATV for $500"......then they are over next week for advice trying to get keep their "new" ATV running while my son is still riding his old one.

New doesnt equal good

Old doesnt equal worthless

The LT80 has no reverse.....it has no neutral....there are no gears so to speak. Start button to start.....thumb throttle to go.....brakes to stop.....fairly simple.

Im looking around for Kawasaki Bayou 220s, Honda Fourtrax 200s, Yamaha Breeze 160s etc for my son to move up to......heck Im still riding a Honda Fourtrax 200 and going everywhere I want to on the trails.

Suzuki did make the first 4 wheeled ATV, atleast in the standard config we now associate with a ATV.

Buying used isn't always a bed of roses everyone knows that. Some times it can take a lot of time. I've gone on wild goose chases which ended up in a waste of day. But sometimes you can find gems and come home real happy! We all agree right now has to be the best time in since I've been following prices to buy used ATV's by far. Sounds like in your part of North America prices are really good.

I checked online adds locally and did come across a couple older LT80s one for 1400, and one for 1700 that looked pretty good. New they probably sold around $3k up here. Here once you go under a 1000 for a brand name its really old or its for parts. Just the way the market is here, supply vs. demand.

As for chinese quads not lasting 5 years, thanks I will make a note of that one lol! Some probably do not , some probably will be going for years.

Neighbor does small engine repairs and installs them chinese knock of honda motors in lawn equipment. Says they are standing up good, he should know ( really picky about quality) as he has been fixing that sort stuff for 35 years.

Last edited by Sawyer; 12-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Buying used isn't always a bed of roses everyone knows that. Some times it can take a lot of time. I've gone on wild goose chases which ended up in a waste of day. But sometimes you can find gems and come hope real happy! We all agree right now has to be the best time in since I've been following prices to buy used ATV's by far. Sounds like in your part of North America prices are really good.

I checked online adds locally and did come across a couple older LT80s one for 1400, and one for 1700 that looked pretty good. New they probably sold around $3k up here. Here once you go under a 1000 for a brand name its really old or its for parts. Just the way the market is here, supply vs. demand.

As for chinese quads not lasting 5 years, thanks I will make a note of that one lol! Some probably do not , some probably will be going for years.

Neighbor does small engine repairs and installs them chinese knock of honda motors in lawn equipment. Says they are standing up good, he shoud know ( really picky about quality) as he has been fixing that sort stuff for 35 years.
Canadian prices.....I have no clue about your market.

Chinese motors are a far cry from the rest of the ATV. Usually its not the motor that fails on these......Ive never had it happen. In every instance of a junk Chinese ATV Ive witnessed its because the rest of the machine literally falls down around the mill.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is what is at the heart of the debate. Brand name machines, usually Japanese, have years of testing and technology behind them. They do use better quality machining and materials. [although most of the steel here now is produced in China...go figure] Part of the price for one of these goes to support these huge companies and all that overhead.

The Chinese are savvy. They shamelessly copy the technologies of these bigger companies, pay their employees a few dollars a day, and work out of shops not much bigger than a store in a strip mall. Regardless of material quality, they will continue to fill this niche and supply affordable ATV's and motorcycles.

I think, like the Japanese before them [who at one time made cheap, laughable junk] they will one day emerge as the top manufacturers of many technologies. This one in particular. They will find a way to improve their quality without huge increases in price. They are able to keep their overhead down and their employees working. As we all know, they treat labor relations like they do protest...with the business end of an Type 56 assault rifle. [ironically a copy of the AK-47...lol]

So, if we decide to buy Chinese made ATV's, we'll throw the dice. It may last for years and put up with hard use or, like mentioned, the spindles may snap off and toss your kid on the lawn. Either way, they should be fun for all who ride them.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Geoff_NJ!

While I will agree that the Chinese ATV fills a need.... to say the Japanese used to make laughable junk is a bit of a stretch..Hondas made in the late 60's are still running today and none of the rubber parts have cracked either.

The Chinese copy Form ok, but they suck at function. Sort of why spring rates and damping is a mystery to who ever makes shocks for most of them. And why rubber parts fall apart in a few mos.

The Chinese at best make kids toy quads and quads for light duty under adults. The day the Chinese make a adult sized quad that can compete head to head with its Japanese rival will not be in the near future.. and maybe never. (usually dont say never, but in this case its a good bet)

Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

I love it! Sounds great to be so free to ride around checking out mole traps. Just keep the liability insurance premium paid up! I gotta load them on a trailer, burn a bunch of gas, pay to ride in addition to license tags. No wonder it costs so much to live, I mean survive, out here along the Pacific sunny shores.

The milage is a guess as I put on 500 miles on my 4x4 in 1 year and don't ride it much. 90% of the time the 150 followed me around when I drove it. Now the main quad rider (12 year old) in the house rides the damn things (250 & 150) a lot more than I do. It's when ever he gets a chance basically. In the summer checking mole traps in the fields a few times a day it doesn't take long put miles on. But really these are easy miles not abusive ones rolling end over end down hills or something lol! We live in the country so its basically walk out the door and drive. He was driving around in the snow today for an hr. and -23c outside!!!

Heck the darn 110 when the kids were younger they had that thing going non stop it seemed all summer holidays the 1st year. I was filling that thing up constantly tell I said "ok this is getting out of hand here"! 3 boys then they asked their "friends" to come over and drive the hell out of it ... you get the picture. I also have a BAJA 50cc motor bike that they put miles on. It though is sick, and needs rings. It has a poor air box/air filter set up and they sucked mud into the engine too many times.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mywifesquad

While I will agree that the Chinese ATV fills a need.... to say the Japanese used to make laughable junk is a bit of a stretch..Hondas made in the late 60's are still running today and none of the rubber parts have cracked either.

The Chinese copy Form ok, but they suck at function. Sort of why spring rates and damping is a mystery to who ever makes shocks for most of them. And why rubber parts fall apart in a few mos.

The Chinese at best make kids toy quads and quads for light duty under adults. The day the Chinese make a adult sized quad that can compete head to head with its Japanese rival will not be in the near future.. and maybe never. (usually dont say never, but in this case its a good bet)
Thanks for the welcome.

My reference to the Japanese making junk wasn't about old Hondas from the 60's...lol. That's when they put their heads together and figured out how to beat us at our own game. Before that, Occupied Japan turned out allot of junk toys and everyday items that were crap, not unlike the Chinese do today. We do have to remember, the Chinese have made it to space... I will agree, they're not knocking on Japan's door just yet. We'll leave it as "we'll see..."

I think we all agree that, unless you're mechanically inclined and happy to constantly maintain and improve one of these Chinese quads, the money is better spent on reliable, well known machines from reputable companies. I think they are a good substitute for people like me who are just getting into the market with kids who aren't going to need a machine with all the bells and whistles.

So far, this forum has been a big help. This post almost feels like "Chinese ATV Owners Anonymous..." Like we can meet in a back room to openly talk about these little, shameful machines. LOL

Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that Japan was never labeled like the Chinese junk today. The US bombed the living crap out of the country then poured HUGE money into developing world class manufacturing and R/D. who came along with those early transistor radios? How long ago did Sony start leading the pack in TV, stereo and electronics. then the whole Japanese car thing from the 60s, for 40 years. This year they became the world's largest car mfg. However, their growth has also started to slip for the first time ever as well.

My recollection is in the 60's it pretty much started with "Made in Hong Kong", then "Made in Taiwan", then "Made in Korea" then "Made in China". Plus all the other places like "Made in India", Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.

One by one every one of those countries have worked hard and applied good business sense and strategies to develop or developing into world class countries. NOTHING is MADE in Hong Kong anymore. There are more Rolls Royce cars on HK streets than any where on Earth. It is the world money and business hub for everything around Asia. It is on par with London, NY, SF.

Taiwan used to make crap. Now they are making great stuff and also in a big fight with mainland since they have enviable business sense. Korea used to make lousy cheap *** stuff. Now look - Samsung - world leader in electronics. Hundai, Kia .. brands we used to laugh at along with the Yugo. You know what. They got real smart real fast and look at how great their ratings are in consumer guides. Every one, step by step, has improved and beat the snot out of the USA.

I would not count out China, ever. It was not that long ago that Europe was the envy of everything moto. Christ, you still got one MWQ. Bultaco. Then the Japanese got hold of it and just took over. I can surely see the day when China is producing world class stuff.

The heyday for the US is OVER my friends. India and China are going to dominate this century. The past generation we dominated as we offered the best education and career opportunities. Now look at cities like Beijing and Bombay. Damn, they are rocketing out of the ground with the newest and greatest. This means more and more of the US educated foreigners are getting smart here and heading back to a GREAT and prosperous life. Why live here in this crap hole when you can be top dog in your own "new" country.

Grab a copy of the recent "The Economist". Look at the last page where it shows money stats for all the major countries. Do it while you sit on the toilet as you are going to crap the biggest one of your life. This country is in a real hurt. Look at just the US trade deficit, over one half a trillion dollars, while China has a surplus of nearly 250 billion. Compare it all the rest of the nations. WE are in for some frickin bad times. Look at how demolished the dollar is and how can it get any better with Obama pushing to grow the debt to over a TRILLION dollars. Inflation will come like a tsunami like we have never seen. I am out of frickin Breath,

Damn, you got me going. enough of this crap. It is CHRISTMAS, not some f...n holiday week.

Ride hard, stay safe!

Originally Posted by mywifesquad

Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff_NJ
Thanks for the welcome.

My reference to the Japanese making junk wasn't about old Hondas from the 60's...lol. That's when they put their heads together and figured out how to beat us at our own game. Before that, Occupied Japan turned out allot of junk toys and everyday items that were crap, not unlike the Chinese do today. We do have to remember, the Chinese have made it to space... I will agree, they're not knocking on Japan's door just yet. We'll leave it as "we'll see..."

I think we all agree that, unless you're mechanically inclined and happy to constantly maintain and improve one of these Chinese quads, the money is better spent on reliable, well known machines from reputable companies. I think they are a good substitute for people like me who are just getting into the market with kids who aren't going to need a machine with all the bells and whistles.

So far, this forum has been a big help. This post almost feels like "Chinese ATV Owners Anonymous..." Like we can meet in a back room to openly talk about these little, shameful machines. LOL

Thanks again.
Your Welcome.

Oh you mean the toys made in USA... that small town in Japan? I remember those.
I was apart of a 400cc quad that might have challenged the Japanese. Im afraid its been lost in a back room somewhere in China. Its gonna be a few years before anyone has the money to develop such a machine.

Mechanical ability is still a must for these machines for sure...That would be one of the first things the Chinese would need to do compete. Still like you say if you can wrench, they do provide a bunch of entertainment for the buck..As you can see from my list of toys, Ive got a few of them my family loves..

We try to provide a place for Chinese quad owners to speak...and not be afraid of being bashed by the anti Chinese crowd.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I am having the best time in this forum ever. What is great is the way we can discuss name brand and Chinese junk in the same breath while not coming across as bashing anyone or demeaning or belittling one for having bought a Chinese AT. In the past we have had a few doozies in here that EVERY post was like you dumb ***, why would you be so stupid to buy or own a piece of sh... Chinese ATV. Absolutely, no understanding of the other variables one juggles in our stress filled lives and making compromised choices every day.

Glad you have joined along with other more mature old timers to offer a more balanced and objective view of the POS we all own.

Quick Reply: "New" Kazuma Meerkat