1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights

The original headlights are next to useless. One bulb already is out. I found the bulb is very similar to a parking bulb on a car. I removed the special ring on the original bulb and installed it on the $0.79 car bulb. Now I am going further to improve the night drives.
Driving lights for cars and trucks use a H3 55W halogen bulb but has more draw than the 40 watts the original chinese quads pull. Both my machines use a 10W/10W on each side, giving a 20W total on each side, 40 Watts total on front of machine.
I ordered the Baja style driving lights and replacement 35W H3 halogen bulbs. Using the two pack driving lights works for me with two machines. I will install one light on center, mounted to frame/brush guard. This should give better lighting and more control to aim the light where needed.

My question is if the stator or other parts can be replaced to allow the system to handle the full 55 watts of the H3 bulb. Better yet would be to use two lights, even with the 35 watt bulbs--70 watt total on front of quads. Does anyone know the power handling of the current system? I should be safe with the 35 watt modification, but want to know if anyone has done this or knows more information.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by youngnbald
The original headlights are next to useless. One bulb already is out. I found the bulb is very similar to a parking bulb on a car. I removed the special ring on the original bulb and installed it on the $0.79 car bulb. Now I am going further to improve the night drives.
Driving lights for cars and trucks use a H3 55W halogen bulb but has more draw than the 40 watts the original chinese quads pull. Both my machines use a 10W/10W on each side, giving a 20W total on each side, 40 Watts total on front of machine.
I ordered the Baja style driving lights and replacement 35W H3 halogen bulbs. Using the two pack driving lights works for me with two machines. I will install one light on center, mounted to frame/brush guard. This should give better lighting and more control to aim the light where needed.

My question is if the stator or other parts can be replaced to allow the system to handle the full 55 watts of the H3 bulb. Better yet would be to use two lights, even with the 35 watt bulbs--70 watt total on front of quads. Does anyone know the power handling of the current system? I should be safe with the 35 watt modification, but want to know if anyone has done this or knows more information.
I dont know of anyone making a high output stator for Chinese quads. My sons rides a Suzuki LT80 and Ive done exactly what you done.....driving lights and a bulb swap to lower the power draw.

I went to a 25watt H3 bulb. Honestly I compared the two side by side and noticed very little if any difference. Perhaps it had something to do with the design of the light I was using but I decided then the extra expense and effort of the high output stator was pointless.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
I dont know of anyone making a high output stator for Chinese quads. My sons rides a Suzuki LT80 and Ive done exactly what you done.....driving lights and a bulb swap to lower the power draw.

I went to a 25watt H3 bulb. Honestly I compared the two side by side and noticed very little if any difference. Perhaps it had something to do with the design of the light I was using but I decided then the extra expense and effort of the high output stator was pointless.

Did the halogen make a world of difference? I just searched a 25 watt H3 and can not find any thing on the market. The smallest is a 35 watt to my knowledge. Parts are on order and wondered if I was wasting my time with this method. Current lights are not adjustable and do very little to luminate the path. I hope to see a big improvement with the halogens.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe you can find some info on this thread http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...0-upgrade.html

I did the same thing on my 150 last winter. It's stock lights may have looked "pretty" but not that functional. So I mounted 1 halogen light on the handle bars. I forget what # of bulb and wattage it was. But I measured the amp draw and it was 4 amps.
The 2 little stock lights were about the same added togther. I also have an old 110cc
chinese quad with the raptor style lights, they actually work not too bad and they measured 1.8 amps each for draw so about 4 amp total. If you got to my pics here on the website you can see the light. ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community - Sawyer's Album: Sawyer's Pics It doesn't look pretty but it's sure bright!! It was something I had laying around shop for a few years and never used on anything. I suppose I could go out and buy something different ... but this works.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

...Both my machines use a 10W/10W on each side, giving a 20W total on each side, 40 Watts total on front of machine.,.
I have a 150cc Gy6 quad. I can get about 60 watts maximum out of the stator at speed. I don't know what headlights are in my machine but with both on, and switched to high beam, they draw a little over 4 amps (about 50 watts or so).

I think your coolster is a GY6 engine same as mine.

...My question is if the stator or other parts can be replaced to allow the system to handle the full 55 watts of the H3 bulb. Better yet would be to use two lights, even with the 35 watt bulbs--70 watt total on front of quads. Does anyone know the power handling of the current system? I should be safe with the 35 watt modification, but want to know if anyone has done this or knows more information.
GY6 engines come stock with either a 6 pole stator or an 8 pole stator. Mine is an 8 pole stator. 6 pole stators will put out about 30% less power. I suspect your coolster has an 8 pole stator. You can buy aftermarket 11 pole stators at buggydepot.com. It is not a drop in replacement. It also requires a new regulator to handle the three phase output (stock is single phase), and it requires that the lights be rewired to run off unregulated AC.

I don't know what your 200cc machine will put out.

Here is how to tell if your stator is keeping up: Pop out the main fuse and insert a current meter in its place set to measure 10 amps full scale (usually you have to move the red probe into a special jack to measure current at 10 amps full scale). Turn on the headlights and measure directly what current they are drawing in amps. Start up the quad and watch the measured current values. Rev up the engine and the current will drop. If your stator is keeping up you will see the current drop to zero and then reverse polarity. This verifies that the stator is running the lights and has enough reserve capacity that it is pushing current backwards throught the battery and charging it up.

At some load level you will find that the stator can barely keep up (charging current near zero). Then turn off the engine and measure the current into the same load. Multiply that current by 12.6 volts and that gives the total stator capacity in watts. For my quad the break even point happens at a load current of 4.8 amps. Multiplying that by 12.6 volts = 60.5 watts.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I have a 150cc Gy6 quad. I can get about 60 watts maximum out of the stator at speed. I don't know what headlights are in my machine but with both on, and switched to high beam, they draw a little over 4 amps (about 50 watts or so).

I think your coolster is a GY6 engine same as mine.

GY6 engines come stock with either a 6 pole stator or an 8 pole stator. Mine is an 8 pole stator. 6 pole stators will put out about 30% less power. I suspect your coolster has an 8 pole stator. You can buy aftermarket 11 pole stators at buggydepot.com. It is not a drop in replacement. It also requires a new regulator to handle the three phase output (stock is single phase), and it requires that the lights be rewired to run off unregulated AC.

I don't know what your 200cc machine will put out.

Here is how to tell if your stator is keeping up: Pop out the main fuse and insert a current meter in its place set to measure 10 amps full scale (usually you have to move the red probe into a special jack to measure current at 10 amps full scale). Turn on the headlights and measure directly what current they are drawing in amps. Start up the quad and watch the measured current values. Rev up the engine and the current will drop. If your stator is keeping up you will see the current drop to zero and then reverse polarity. This verifies that the stator is running the lights and has enough reserve capacity that it is pushing current backwards throught the battery and charging it up.

At some load level you will find that the stator can barely keep up (charging current near zero). Then turn off the engine and measure the current into the same load. Multiply that current by 12.6 volts and that gives the total stator capacity in watts. For my quad the break even point happens at a load current of 4.8 amps. Multiplying that by 12.6 volts = 60.5 watts.

I will see what I can come up with and will post the results. Short on time, but hope to find out soon. Thanks for the advice and how to.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Did the halogen make a world of difference? I just searched a 25 watt H3 and can not find any thing on the market. The smallest is a 35 watt to my knowledge. Parts are on order and wondered if I was wasting my time with this method. Current lights are not adjustable and do very little to luminate the path. I hope to see a big improvement with the halogens.
I found the 25 watt H3 bulb on eBay. Also Suzuki runs 25 watt H3 bulbs in some of their machines, I was told by several people I could get on thru a dealer if need be.

Yes the 25 watt H3 bulb in the driving light puts out great light. Plenty good enough to ride in the pitch black if you want to.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

@Sawyer - This thread rang a bell that this was talked about awhile ago. I never did make any changes.

Giving the problem a new look I am wondering how easily a high intensity lighting system used by bicycle riders could be adapted. If you want lighting for the occasional ride in the dark, then one of these systems might work well. They sure seem to light up the road for bikers but maybe don't have the right throw pattern of light for ATV riding.

What about the new LED light systems. They have 1 and 3 watt LED that throw huge light in flashlights now. Maybe something could be adapted from that technology. Very high lumens and Very low drain.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by windtrader
@Sawyer - This thread rang a bell that this was talked about awhile ago. I never did make any changes.

Giving the problem a new look I am wondering how easily a high intensity lighting system used by bicycle riders could be adapted. If you want lighting for the occasional ride in the dark, then one of these systems might work well. They sure seem to light up the road for bikers but maybe don't have the right throw pattern of light for ATV riding.

What about the new LED light systems. They have 1 and 3 watt LED that throw huge light in flashlights now. Maybe something could be adapted from that technology. Very high lumens and Very low drain.

I did my research and decided for the money the cheapest was a set of driving lights (Wally World even) for $18-$20. Then Amazon.com for the H3 35W light bulbs for $4.86. Less than $40 and will take care of two machines using one on each. This is less draw than the original and not stress the system. These lights are even made for impact and vibrations!
I looked into LED technology and found it is improving but still not cost effective. Very directional also with lots of cost to do it right. Not all LED's are equal and you will get what you pay for in this direction. Driving lights off a car are bright and will suit my needs....I hope! Still waiting for delivery and need time to install yet. I will post pics once I get there.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Those should work out fine. Might look a bit goofy but if the kids don't moan who gives a rats ***. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: headlights