1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help! China quad wont start

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

12 volts at the starter motor and it doesn't crank means that the engine is frozen or the starter is bad. This assumes that you followed the instructions exactly - i.e. red lead on the starter input terminal, and black lead on the starter case. By measuring 12 volts on the starter input terminal while having the black lead right on the starter case you are verifying that the ground wiring all the way back to the battery minus terminal is good as well.

The next step is to pull out starter and see if it spins by itself.

I think Saywer's test also indicates the same thing - the starter is drawing lots of current but isn't turning.

I don't have a 110cc machine so I've never removed the starter motor on one of these. Sorry I can't help there.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by renMC
Sawyer

The battery is brand new yesterday.

I ran a jumper lead from the positive of the battery to the starter terminal and got nothing but a shower of sparks.
This thing does run right? Like you can pull start it with another quad or something and it runs?

If the starter gets good postive and ground feed and you tried bypassing the starting circuit on the quad (both postive and ground) with booster cables then I'd pull the starter off and see whats up with it.

What size of engine is in this? Take a pic or post us a link to one like it.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys thanks again for all the help.

I'm pretty sure I am measuring all this correctly. 12dcv at the starter solenoid with starting button NOT pushed in is seems correct for an open switch.

Sawyer - As far as I know the machine cant be jump started. It is full automatic. The last time it ran was before I hooked it up to my truck trying to jump it. I am 99% positive the motor is not locked.

I will take pictures soon and post them if you guys can give me your input on removing the starter.

Thanks again

Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

...I'm pretty sure I am measuring all this correctly. 12dcv at the starter solenoid with starting button NOT pushed in is seems correct for an open switch....
Correct for the post on the starter side of the solenoid. The battery side should have 12 volts all the time.

...As far as I know the machine cant be jump started. It is full automatic....
I think you meant pull started. My 150cc fully automatic machine cannot be pull started. But it can be jump started (with jumper cables to a car/truck battery).

...The last time it ran was before I hooked it up to my truck trying to jump it. I am 99% positive the motor is not locked.
I think the odds of a frozen engine are low. To get to the point where the engine is seized up you would have to know that something bad happened earlier, or be in complete denial.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled the starter on my boys 4 wheeler and took it to work to have the sparky's test it. The starters have a fuseable link in them and mine was blown. Pretty much no way to repair. Probably happened when you jump started it. Good luck

Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled my starter off the other day, a big chunk of the magnet was broken inside, probably from tapping it with a hammer. The pickups were really corroded and the adjusters on them werent working. I filed everything smooth and cleaned it up a bit, it still wouldnt turn over. I think I will purchase a new starter, there all over ebay for roughly 20 dollars shipped.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default same problem

I'm getting the same problem when I try to start my Chinese 110 I get the clucking in the solenoid, so I tried to jump it off my truck. I did however make sure they were both twelve volt systems before doing so and I got the same clicking and then I costly and some smoke coming from the area of the solenoid, then I started feeling around and the wire that for a from the solenoid to the starter was extremly hot, nothing else seemed to be hot though. So I removed my solenoid assuming that that was the problem and I'm going to get another one tomorrow. Is that right? Does it seem to be the solenoid that's the problem? And also after the smoke the solenoid stopped clicking and nothing was happening when trying to start. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled my starter off the other day, a big chunk of the magnet was broken inside, probably from tapping it with a hammer. The pickups were really corroded and the adjusters on them werent working. I filed everything smooth and cleaned it up a bit, it still wouldnt turn over. I think I will purchase a new starter, there all over ebay for roughly 20 dollars shipped.
Sorry I don't know much about these things but I have the same problem. Is the starter and starter solenoid the same thing? I replaced the small round one already with no luck. I also caused this problem by jumping it with a car.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey i have a question so my son was riding his quad parked it and went to start it back uo and it wont start checked the battery it was good the solinoid clicks but wont start i even tried touching it with a screw driver it does not spark i replaced it anyway went out the next day and now its saying the battery is bad so i jumped it off my car battery so im getting power but it still just clicks when i hit the button dont even sound like it want to start do you know what it could be please and thank you

Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Sawyer
renmc,

I haven't read all the threads through yet maybe ynn has already covered it.

1st have a known good battery!!

IF it doens't work and you can hear the solinod/relay clicking when you hit the button I'd do the following as a quick check.

Just take a battery booster cable, hook oneclamp end to positive on the quad battery and take the other end adn touch it to the positive terminal on starter. (where the heavy wire hooks up too) Make sure its out of gear and key off as it's going to probably spark a bit and hopefully encage the starter! If nothing happens you have something up with your starter. If it cranks it over well then you have to check where the resistance is in the starting circuit. Be it the cables conections or the starter relay itself.

Again all this is for nothing if you don't have a good 12 volt source.

However from your readings there you battery voltage isn't dropping when you hit the button. So make sure that starter relay down under the seat probably attached to the frame is clicking 1st!
​​​​​​​Hey i have a question so my son was riding his quad parked it and went to start it back uo and it wont start checked the battery it was good the solinoid clicks but wont start i even tried touching it with a screw driver it does not spark i replaced it anyway went out the next day and now its saying the battery is bad so i jumped it off my car battery so im getting power but it still just clicks when i hit the button dont even sound like it want to start do you know what it could be please and thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! China quad wont start