1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

No spark - kids upset

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kazafog
...Also is there anyway that the bike could have something else wrong with it which is killing the CDIs, maybe?..
I doubt it, but a remote possibility is a bad ignition coil tht arcs internally from the secondary winding back to the primary winding and takes out the CDI. I would get a CDI from a new source first. If it fails quickly then change the coil to your new one (if you haven't already).

Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks again Lynn, no I never changed the coil to the new one unfortunately. I'm going to go back to the ebay seller and let him know they are rubbish.

Just out of interest have you looked at any of the aluminium case models out there, the reason I ask is that if they are not filled with resin they may be repairable.

Also the one I have my eye on has wires coming from the plug, so I could reuse the plug with a DIY circuit possibly.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

I bought and have NOT put on a "racing" 5 pin CDI. It is aluminum cased, but I don't know what the case is covering. It looks really "cool" and technical, but it may well be just a piece of extrusion screwed to a normal CDI. I didn't need it after I changed sellers.
I am curious to know what color the plug is on the ones you have.

I am not one to re-invent the wheel, but there is a site where a man tells you how to use a CDI off of a Ford automobile on a 4 wheeler.

As it is I have seven, 5 pin CDIs in my desk drawer all new, and from the same vendor that completely fixed my problem. But I didn't need them after I got 1 good one.
I changed the coil, and checked and re-checked the wires, and the switches, and replaced many CDIs with ones that lasted about 5 minutes, OR lasted until after the engine revved up. Not at the high RPMs but after the throttle was released.
It was a headache, and should have been a simple fix, IF I had got good CDIs.

If the kid still has any interest in riding the bike then find a good CDI and fix it and then buy one for parts and do experimentation on the one the kid doesn't ride.

The guy with the Ford CDI is using resistors to alter the timing and other things that are not common. Sounds like he is having fun doing it, but who knows, he may have a lot of time on his hands and he may like working on it more than riding it.

The last place I bought a CDI from was these, ( Houston Texas) people...Chinese Motor Parts items - Get great deals on Brake Suspension, Electrical Components items on eBay Stores!

The racing one came from( Hong Kong) here...withmonica motorcycle xparts scooter atv pit dirt bike items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

Who knows how good yours would be from them, your luck seems worse than mine.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the response,

have you tried the "racing" cdi to see if it continues to live after riding the bike a while? If it continues to live that at least indicates that both stores were selling good cdi s at one stage.

The ebay seller told me he's sold hundreds with no problem, but I'm sure he would regardless. He reckons it must be something in the wiring, I doubt it myself, but just to humour him and give me some piece of mind, can anyone tell me if a 250v insulation tester will worry anything? I don't won't to kill something else while testing the wiring, and I don't really want to trace everything either. Surely 250v would be OK.

I'll check out the ebay stores you recommended.

thanks again.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

I am still curious about the color of the plug on the CDI, but if you don't want to say then that's ok.

No, the racing one is still in the box. *****Like I said,"It is aluminum cased, but I don't know what the case is covering. It looks really "cool" and technical, but it may well be just a piece of extrusion screwed to a normal CDI. I didn't need it after I changed sellers. "

Just so you know, I went through more than 7 "bad" CDIs until I got a good one. All of them new, BUT they were still bad. I stopped counting after a while, but more than 7.
I posted and followed up with results after the 4 wheeler was running, so other people, like yourself, could benefit from what I went through.

Yes, I checked and re-checked everything I could, But ALL I needed was a good CDI.

I hope the same for you.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

green plug, sorry mate I missed that bit.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

the back of the CDI has "LcLiChuan" stamped on it.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

Mine have SG embossed in the plastic case, and then SG 07.10 at the end of the case.
maybe a date code?... OR a sell by date!! that was a joke.

ANYHOW mate Good Luck

Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Well it got the better of me and I removed the resin from one of the failed units, and I have drawn out the circuit. The SCR was dead so maybe a faulty part or not a high enough current or volt rating.

next question is how do you attach a picture in here?

the FAQ says

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

but there is no manage attachments button. I hit the new post button like it said but nothing, Any ideas?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be very interested in seeing that circuit.

I use photobucket.com to host my images. It's free. There are many other similar free hosting sites. Once uploaded you copy the *.img link directly into your post.

I've also uploaded images to this forum, though I've never been able to do it without futzing around a lot. It is not straight forward.

Quick Reply: No spark - kids upset