1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

250 has no idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 has no idle

Hello guys, i recently got a Manco Talon 250 for free. At first it would not start. After a plug replacement it starts but will not idle. I removed and cleaned the carb and changed the fuel filter. When cleaning it I noticed the main jet and pilot jet are frozen. Put the carb back on it will start up only when the throttle is pressed. It will ramp up and hold full throttle. It just doesn't want to stay at idle. I tried adjusting the mixture screw and the idle screw all the way down and still nothing. The carb is a kiehin cvk. I live in Houston, TX so its about 70-80 during the day.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default your carb

Originally Posted by jeremyandrew
Hello guys, i recently got a Manco Talon 250 for free. At first it would not start. After a plug replacement it starts but will not idle. I removed and cleaned the carb and changed the fuel filter. When cleaning it I noticed the main jet and pilot jet are frozen. Put the carb back on it will start up only when the throttle is pressed. It will ramp up and hold full throttle. It just doesn't want to stay at idle. I tried adjusting the mixture screw and the idle screw all the way down and still nothing. The carb is a kiehin cvk. I live in Houston, TX so its about 70-80 during the day.

Thanks
what do you mean frozen? won't come out? soak it in carb cleaner or
AEROKROIL. aerokroil is a penetrant that makes WD40 look like water. anyways, soak it a day or so, then they ought to bust out of there, either that, or order another carb(then you'll always have a spare carb). they're about $30 or so. that sounds like the problem. idle jet is plugged.........

Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes they will not come out and I didn't want to strip them since they are brass. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner so I don't think its plugged but it could be. Ill try soaking it tomorrow to free the jets. ill let you know what happens.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

I would be very surprised if the smaller pilot jet is NOT clogged. It is 90% of most idling and mid-range power issues.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:52 AM
kai
Weekend Warrior
Default 250 honda recon es

my atv also doesn't hold idle on cold start or if after warmed up it won't hold idle for more than a minute. i changed the float valve and pilot jet. i also cleaned all the passage ways that i could reach. when i adjust the throttle screw(in or out) the atv just dies out. when i start the atv and gas it, it will run as long as i hold the throttle above idle. any help will be appreciated. thank you

Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kai
my atv also doesn't hold idle on cold start or if after warmed up it won't hold idle for more than a minute. i changed the float valve and pilot jet. i also cleaned all the passage ways that i could reach. when i adjust the throttle screw(in or out) the atv just dies out. when i start the atv and gas it, it will run as long as i hold the throttle above idle. any help will be appreciated. thank you
welcome to the forums! in your post title, i presume you're talking about your honda. even though this is the chinese section, it ain't no sweat as i also own hondas. have you checked your choke position? what i'm saying is your choke could be somewhat engaged and after it warms up it'll kill the quad. it should hold idle with a choke engaged a little, so that leans me toward the pilot jet still having a small pluggage issue in the orifices. pull that jet out and clean it. see daylight through all orifices and down the center of the jet. throttle screw? you mean idle screw? if not, readjust your throttle cable tensioner up near the handlebars. that could affect the idle also. if it's a honda, a bunch of honda guys can help out in the honda section. as stated, i own hondas also so i hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

100% if your jets are stuck you HAVE to get them out I can promise you they are not clean... cleaning the carb you can spray or soak them all you want but wont get anywhere unless you have them out to clean...