1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Different types of starter clutches (Sprag)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different types of starter clutches (Sprag)

Wondering if anyone knows the pros and cons of the two different types of starter clutches found on popular Chinese air cooled 200cc and 250cc vertical engines.

I recently replaced my 3-sprag roller starter clutch with the Multi-sprag version. Could not find anyone selling the 3-roller version that had it in stock. Only major diff i can see is that the hub on the starter gear on the 3-roller ver is 54mm diameter and the Multi-sprag hub is 42mm.

Does this mean that the starter will have less mechanical advantage turning the smaller hub? one benefit is that it turns faster, BUT what about colder weather. When winter hits will it turn over on really cold days

please see image at
http://www.buyatvsonline.com/cg200cc...b-pi-9329.html

Last edited by aircube; 10-30-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Both should work the same.

I think you confusing those roller clutches with gears. They are not gears, rather they are lock up devices. In one direction the clutch free wheels and there is no mechanical connection from the input side to output side. In the other direction the input and output sides are locked up and spinning together. There is no gearing up or down.

In other words: On both versions when the clutch is locked up the input side spins around one turn, and the output also spins around one turn. They are acting the same and should therfore work the same.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good point

hey, good point. I guess in the start direction its locked so input on the starterhub teeth is the same and output to the shaft is the same. I get your point, it would be the same output regardless of the size of the hub

thanks for pointing that out.

does either one last longer than the other? This Multi ver seems to catch better and is much quieter than the 3-roller ver.

Happy with it anyways

Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aircube
...does either one last longer than the other? This Multi ver seems to catch better and is much quieter than the 3-roller ver....
On this I have no idea...