1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

starter spins ....doesnt turn engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter spins ....doesnt turn engine

HI, im a newbie here and have a problem. Im going this morn to purchase a kasea 50cc (unsure of year) for 100.00 . im a disabled / retired vet from iraq war so money is short .

Im attempting to have this running by christmas for my 2yearold.

PROBLEM ---- The owner says that the starter spins but doesnt engage the motor to turn it over. and it needs a battery .

besides replacing battery ofcourse .... how do i diagnose the problem ?

do i take off the left case cover to the engine and peek in there looking for broken chain or stuck bearings ?? any help
would be appreciated.

stevens94z@yahoo.com

thank you
Jerry

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Hi Jerry,

I'm not familiar with 50cc Kasea's. Most chinese quads have a starter clutch between the starter motor and engine. I'm guessing your does too. Starter clutches are just one way "sprag clutches" (google that for more info) that allow the starter motor to grab and turn the engine over, but once the engine starts the clutch overruns and disconnects the engine from the starter. I suspect yours is stuck in the overrun position or worn out and needs to be replaced.

I tried to look at 50cc Kasea quads using google. I got conflicting results. Is this quad a two cycle, or four cycle? If it is a four cycle the pic's I saw looked like a GY6 engine. Do you know what engine type it is?

Buying quads from strangers that don't run is a risky endeavor. Sure the former owner will say things like "it only needs... blah blah blah". But if it were so simple why wouldn't they simply fix it and therefore be in a position to command a higher price?

I don't want to discourage you, but I do want to make sure you go into this with eyes wide open .

Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i concur with Lynn, if it's got a ripcord, pull it to see if it'll start. if it ain't an automatic, meaning you gotta shift gears with your foot, push start it. but i ain't familiar with kasea either. if it were me, $50.00 max. especially if i couldn't start it somehow before buying it. be cautious, be wary.