1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Question please give input

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
46u
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question please give input

A little about me.
Been riding and working on motorcycles none stop for over 40 years. I do all my own work including most of the machine shop.

Question
I am looking at buying my grandson of 7 a Chinese 4 wheeler. Looking at the 110 cc size. Is one brand better then another or all about the same? Pros and cons them would help. Please do not turn this in to a flaming discussion.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Is this just a test to see if he'll like to ride, or is this going to be a serious hobby he'll keep? If it's going to be a hobby, you might look at a used lt80. Will last longer and will have tons of mods to grow with his skill.

If you're still considering the chinese model, another thing to consider is the frame size. A 110 model could be on a small child sized frame or a full adult sized frame. Be sure to get the size that fits him safely now, not something he may grow in to in a few years.

The chinese models have come quite a ways in a few years, but I'd look for parts availability also when shopping. I can't say there is one top brand from there, just look closely at how the model you choose is assembled. Good welds, bolts tight etc...

Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM
46u
Weekend Warrior

About 5 years ago I was working on a older Suzuki LT 50 and it had made in Taiwan on it. LOL

I have been looking at the ToaToa and parts are every where for them and they have ToaToa USA so there is some support for the.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

I have a coolster brand 110cc for my son seems to do alright. Had to modify The air intake it was too low and would get mud etc clogging it so I raised it to The front rack does better. And The safety remote system only lasted about 2 months then it wouldn't let The thing start so I had to bypass that. But as far as riding and power it is pretty good. Hope this helps out

Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Range Rover

I think the brands are all about the same, I would buy one that you can find a good parts supplier for, like taotao

also, as someone already mentioned, I would consider a 125.. when I got mine, the price differance between the bigger 110 and the 125 was only $50. the 125 wont really have much more power, but with the bigger chasis, it may last him longer

good luck

Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
46u
Weekend Warrior

After looking at used name brands and people with 20 year old ones want either 2/3 of what a new one cost or beat all to hell and the newer ones just totally ridicules he got a Tao Tao. Parts are EVERY where for them and prices are %60 or more cheaper as well as I have been riding, working on motorcycles and machine work for well over 40 years I figure what the heck. I all so have worked on MANY ATVs. I even have a small engine machine shop in my basement and a couple of welding machines.

I did check it out very well lube the cables and check most of the hardware which I am glade I did. It defiantly is not the quality of a name brand but cannot expect it for $585 including tax and it is new. I do like the remote that if the child is cutting up you can push the button and kill the engine. I will give a review when he gets some time on it and you can best bet it will be an honest review.
Thanks all for your input!

He will be 7 next week which his birthday party is tomorrow and if it out last him getting bigger he has 3 brothers and one sister that will take it over one day. His anther siblings are 2 sets of twins and right now both sets are under 2.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

i own the 150d and the 50 2 stroke and both are tao tao. yes you can find parts everywhere, thank god because i have ordered quite a few parts already and i have only had the bikes for 6 months!

my recommendation is check the weight limit of the 110 compared to the 125 if you are going with the tao tao. if your grandson can ride already i would recommend the bigger frame! not only will he possibly be able to ride it for longer but, you will be able to ride it if needed also!

i have owned several atvs, dirt bikes, etc most of my like and overall, you get what you pay for with the "chinese" knock offs. the dependability is an issue from what i have experienced and seen. if you have the money i would recommend going to your local "name brand dealer" (honda, kawasaki, yamaha, suzuki) and see what is comparable. my general thoughts are that would you rather spend less and possibly be working on the bike more, or spend more and get the reliabilty of the name brand.

hope this was helpful and best of luck to you!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
46u
Weekend Warrior

In his mothers and my situation we cannot afford a $3000 name brand. At $585 including tax leaves a lot of room to buy parts. What ever it needs in the way of work I will not have a problem doing it including the machine work. I live on in a month what most live on in a week or less but doing well considering.

He has now had it over a week and has run the heck out of it and so far so good. No telling how many hours he has on it but at least 30 or more. I just picked up a inline gas valve that I am going to instal. Yes I agree a name brand is better but not all can afford them.

He got in trouble this past Sunday when his mother saw him going around the corner of the house on two wheels. thanks all for you input.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

glad you like it. i always wished my parents would of bought me an atv when i was younger. it's not til now that i'm 18 and got a project quad and got it running. now im onto bigger things. i just picked up a 1989 yz250 2 stroke dirtbike... let the games begin

Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
46u
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by pvillefball421
glad you like it. i always wished my parents would of bought me an atv when i was younger. it's not til now that i'm 18 and got a project quad and got it running. now im onto bigger things. i just picked up a 1989 yz250 2 stroke dirtbike... let the games begin

I know what you mean. I did not get my first motorcycle till I was 15 and they did not even make ATVs. But now I have been riding for 42 plus years none stop. Here is s picture from my short trip from Georgia to Alaska and back in 2005. On the bike I have no I have ridden to and in all but five states excluding Hawaii. If you see my bike on a trailer call the police it is stolen.

Name:  JeffatYukon.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  81.0 KB