Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Changing out front lower boot with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out front lower boot with some pics

'11 Grizz 700 here and I ordered Yamaha front lower boot replacement kit 28P-2510G-00 which consisted of 5 parts. The 4 parts pictured plus a plastic bottle of grease...

Name:  boot%20set_zpsidplbapm.jpg
Views: 12725
Size:  74.3 KB

First time doing this and the videos I've seen entail removing the entire axle then removing the top boot to get at the lower boot. Now when putting back together the top boot area (even though the boot isn't being replaced) it's suggested not to reuse the old axle retaining ring but to only use a new ring. So, seeing as how the kit I ordered did not come with the 2 (I believe) retaining rings for the top part of the axle or a second bottle of grease for the top boot it looks like I'll need to order some more parts before I can start on this one. Whadda y'all think?

Looks like I have all the parts (B, C, D, E) I'll need for the lower section...

Name:  boot%201_zpszcz9jhg5.png
Views: 12465
Size:  79.5 KB

So now I need to get the parts (G, H, I, J, K) for doing the top part...

Name:  boot%202_zpsh48x9wsp.png
Views: 12639
Size:  47.5 KB

Also, from what I've seen I think I'll be needing part 26 as well, which I think is an axle retaining clip. So, should I get this part too?

So now on to these clips that came in the kit...

Name:  IMG_0112_zpskpkhe3jh.jpg
Views: 12704
Size:  62.4 KB

I've seen how other clips work but not entirely sure about this one. The only retaining barb I can tell that's on this clip is the little one in the yellow circle. Other clips I've seen have much larger retaining nubs about the size of the ones with the blue arrows. So I'm guessing for this clip you use pliers to squeeze the blue arrow nubs together then hook using the small nub in yellow?

And lastly some questions on getting the 27mm axle nut off. I've seen this done with a pneumatic impact gun on a video but I don't like using those things. One way I've seen it described is to jack up and take the wheel off, remove the center plastic cap, replace the wheel and lower to the ground for some traction. Put the machine in park and chock the wheels, then put your wrench on the nut with possibly a breaker 'cheater' bar and crank. Same procedure for putting it on except you would prob use a torque wrench. Does this wound like the best way to get this 27mm axle nut off without using an impact gun? Even though the wheels would be chocked I imagine the gears (in park) would take the brunt of resisting the torque on the nut when it's being forced off. Would this be too much force on the gears?

Crap I know this is a long post already so sorry bout that. I'll just finish with summarizing my questions which have prob gotten lost in all that writing...

1) Should I order the full second upper boot kit plus the axle
retaining clip part # 26?
2) How to use the retaining clips in the kit I got
3) Best way to get the 27mm axle nut off.

Thanks for hanging in there with me through all that