1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Any way to fix the end piece of the throttle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to fix the end piece of the throttle cable?

Hi Folks.

I've got a TaoTao 250d. Recently I broke the end of the throttle cable - the little lead end piece that holds it in the assembly on the handbar. I think I pushed it too hard or the cable end was just nearing end of life ( for a china part anyway). The cable broke off from the metal end piece. Was wondering if there is a way to fix this or if I need to order a new one and replace the whole thing. I measured the cable it was around 44" or so? Anyone know what size to get for the replacement?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

i would think that you will have to get a new one because if you do manage to rejoin the cable, the joint will get in the way inside the throttle assembly. as for getting a new cable i have no idea

Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just replace it. they're super cheap! heck, it don't have to be a chinese brand replacement. take it to an atv dealer and match up against whatever brands they carry. it should be fine.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Northern Tool outlet near you, they have a good selection of cables for carts and other motorized bikes, and even a repair piece that clamps on the end of the cable to replace the broken off piece that goes into the throttle housing that may work.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. For now I went to Ace hardware and was able to find a small (cable stop)? which fit. It was in a parts bin labeled for throttle stuff. They had two different sizes. Luckily one was pretty close to the original size. When I went to put it in, I had to slightly drill out the center hole on the plate just a bit to get it to fit. I also bent back the two fork type pieces so I could slide it into position in the middle.

It was a bit challenging getting the cable through the small hole- I had to glue the end of the cable to hold all the stands in place. The screw that is holding it is slightly higher but I was able to get the cover on. I've got something that works for now at least.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Flux coated lite alloy rod

Flux coated lite alloy rod...pink outside which is flux, brass colored rod in the middle. You can cut some of the cable back if needed. I use a regular blue propane torch bottle.