1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

No spark 250 chinese quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark 250 chinese quad

The engine turns over, but has no spark I have replaced the coil, spark plug, CDI box and stator. I have followed other posts today and tested

Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure?

I had 0 Volts and tested the plug next to the stator and still 0 volts, what do I check next?

My CDI has to plugs on it 4 pin and 2 pins.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

But is your 6 pin CDI DC powered or AC powered? You can't tell by looking. Your voltage measurements are not valid unless you have an AC powered CDI. Here is the generic procedure to see which CDI you have:

The 2 plug 6 wire CDIs come in two different designs. One is powered off 12 volts DC, and the other is powered off a moderately high voltage AC which comes from the stator. Unfortunately there is no reliable way to tell the difference between the two by just looking at them. To be sure you need to use a meter to find out which you have:

1) Unplug the CDI, and turn on the ignition. Do not crank the starter motor. Use a meter to measure the *DC* voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" in the wiring harness to both ground pins in the 4 pin CDI connector. If you measure 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI.

2) If you don't measure 12 volts DC on the ignition power pin, then switch the meter over to measure AC volts on the 200 volt scale. While cranking the starter motor, measure the AC voltage on the "AC Ignition Power" pin to the the Ground pin. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC. If you measure AC voltage when the starter is turning then you have an AC powered CDI.

Using a meter is the only 100% reliable way to figure out if your CDI is AC or DC powered. But there are some clues you can use that are usually (but not always) correct:

A) DC CDIs tend to be a little larger than their AC powered counterpart. This is because the DC powered CDI needs a bunch more circuitry to convert the 12 volts DC to the moderately high voltage supply that all CDIs must have.

B) Most (but not all) DC powered quad ignition systems do not use the kill switch input pin. The CDI connector pin usually has no wire tied to it. AC powered quad ignition systems usually do use the kill switch input pin.

Originally Posted by kelby108
The engine turns over, but has no spark I have replaced the coil, spark plug, CDI box and stator. I have followed other posts today and tested

Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure?

I had 0 Volts and tested the plug next to the stator and still 0 volts, what do I check next?

My CDI has to plugs on it 4 pin and 2 pins.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 56 volts AC on the pin.

What should I check next?

Thanks Darren.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have the kill switch wire pluged in to rule this out, will it run without or do I need to ground the pin out?

I checked the coil to ground and have 1.1 ohms.

When I cranked the engine I have no AC volts from the CDI coil out.

I tested the AC for the trigger and my home tester is set at 200V (it's lowest setting) and get 0.1 volt

Thanks again Darren.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Electrical Expert

Since you don't have AC voltage at all going to the coil then we are down to a bad CDI, or the CDI isn't getting triggered. It's also remotely possible that the coil is bad, but this is less likely than the CDI.

Your measurement of the trigger voltage is 0.1 volts AC on the 200 volts AC scale. I have a few of those meters too. The resolution of your measurement is just one least significant bit, so it is subject to question.

Try this: Measure the AC ignition power voltage again with the CDI disconnected (you got 56 volts AC before). Verify that, then plug the CDI back in and measure the same voltage. Be sure to everything hooked up, the ignition switch on, and have all the kill switches set to the run position. Do you still get 56 volts AC, or is it a different voltage now?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the trigger voltage with a USB scope and got 1.6 Volt AC.

AC ignition power voltage with the CDI plugged in was 39 Volts AC and my Battery is dieing so it's now on charge.

I don't have the Kill switch wire connected to the CDI, would this stop it working?

Darren.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a update, with the coil not connected I get 13 to 20 Volts AC at the wire end. But when I connect the coil, I don't get any voltage. I take it that the coil needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your help, I feel I am now making some progress.

Darren.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Electrical Expert

I checked the trigger voltage with a USB scope and got 1.6 Volt AC.

AC ignition power voltage with the CDI plugged in was 39 Volts AC and my Battery is dieing so it's now on charge.

I don't have the Kill switch wire connected to the CDI, would this stop it working?

Darren.
I've seen some of those USB 'scopes. They're getting pretty impressive these days. And cheap too...

1.6 volts? Is this peak voltage (above zero), or peak to peak voltage?, or the RMS value (displayed as text on the display)?

How does your measurements compare to this:

Name:  CDITriggerPulseWaveformcranking.jpg
Views: 4986
Size:  29.5 KB
As you can see, 1.6 volts is low compared to the 5 volts peak that is typical. But I still think it is sufficient to trigger the CDI based on the CDI designs that I have taken apart.

The 39 volts versus 56 volts AC on the ignition power pin is a bit nebulus since you had a dying battery and the measurements were done on different days. The voltage you measure is also directly proportional to engine cranking speed, and therefore directly related to battery charge. You need to measure both conditions within moments of one another to get any useful conclusions out of them.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Electrical Expert

I have a update, with the coil not connected I get 13 to 20 Volts AC at the wire end. But when I connect the coil, I don't get any voltage. I take it that the coil needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your help, I feel I am now making some progress.

Darren.
No such luck. Your voltage measurements are meaningless. The CDI *requires* that the coil be hooked up before it will work in any predictable way. The main storage capacitor (the "C" in the acronym "CDI" is charged from the stator through the ignition coil primary winding. When you disconnect the coil this can't happen, and therefore all other measurements depend on the details of that particular CDI design (one of several) - and which is unknown. Looking at the CDI diagrams that I have traced out, your moderate AC voltage seems perfectly reasonable - but also have no diagnostic info in them.

There is no indication one way or the other from these measurments that relate to your coil. Sorry... .

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Electrical Expert

...I don't have the Kill switch wire connected to the CDI, would this stop it working?

Darren.
Disconnecting the kill switch from the CDI will not prevent spark. It instead *allows* spark to commence when a fault on the kill switch wiring circuitry was *preventing* spark before.

So no, a disconnected kill switch will not prevent a quad from starting up. But a disconnected kill switch can keep you from shutting off the quad once it starts. Keep this in mind. How will you shut off the quad if it does start up? Supose the engine runs away at full throttle? There is high voltage on the kill switch wire when the quad is running, so you can't safely do it with your fingers.

One way is to turn on a kill switch (like turn off the ignition switch), and take a pair of insulated pliers, grab the kill switch wire and plug it back into the CDI. Make sure your fingers aren't part of the circuit... Plan this in advance so you know what to do if things go major wrong...

Quick Reply: No spark 250 chinese quad