1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 Go-kart ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 Go-kart ?

I have a 110 go kart I purchased used for my kids. I was rebuilding the top end and set the key on my wives van, she drove over with the key on her van and now it's gone. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or manual on this, I'm trying to figure out what wires need to be jumped in order to crank it while I'm wait on a new switch. Also I'm new to this toys, who would be a good online source for parts? When I purchase the go kart, it came with a 110 ATV, I have it running good, but it's missing the choke cable. Any thing on these will help, I don't know the year of either one of them. The ATV is a 110 full auto and the kart is a 110 with a 2 speed and reverse.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How many wires on the ignition switch? What are their colors?

On your CDI, how many pins does it have? Four, or Five?

There aren't usually wiring diagrams out there for most quads, but we can usually use the few existing ones for similar 110cc quads to get us on track.

As far as parts go I would google "chinese quad ignition switch" or something like that to get a list of vendors. Then google each vendor to see how many people are complaining about them. Keep in mind that the zillions of chinese quad/scooter/buggy/go cart brands are usually made with oem parts from the same few chinese vendors. So the same "ignition switch" is used all over the place. Look at your ignition switch and compare it to the pictures online. If the switch look the same and the connectors match go for it (after researching the vendors reputation of course).

I'd do the same for the choke cable as well.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tao Tao 110cc

Hey everyone I was wondering if youa knew where I could find a starter cylinoid for a Tao Tao 110cc and if your selling one

Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Lynn,

It has 5 wires on the switch.

Green
Red
Red with a yellow stripe
Black
Black with a white stripe

I know if I connect the red and red/yellow wires that turns the starter, don't know what other ones need to be connected to make it run.

I will google the CDI and see what it looks like.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My comments in blue...

Originally Posted by Madlad
Thanks Lynn,

It has 5 wires on the switch.

Green [classic color for ground]
Red [Classic color for fused +12 volts from the battery]
Red with a yellow stripe [This must be the wire that cranks the starter]
Black [classic wire color for Switched Fused +12 volts.]
Black with a white stripe [classis wire color for the Kill Switch bus]

I know if I connect the red and red/yellow wires that turns the starter, don't know what other ones need to be connected to make it run.

I will google the CDI and see what it looks like.

Thanks
So this is what your ignition switch does:

1) When in the "off" position, the green and black-white are shorted together. All the other wires are disconnected from each other. When you ground the Kill switch wire it stops the CDI from generating spark. So if your engine was running, and you turned the ignition switch to off, the kill switch wire will kill the engine. Remember that many quad ignition systems (but not all) are powered off moderately high voltage AC power coming from the stator. There is no 12 volt anything in these ignition systems, so you have to actively kill spark in order to shut them down.

2) When in the ""on" position, the green and black-white get disconnected (enabling spark), and the red and black wires get shorted together. This provides power to anything that runs on 12 volts. The red-yellow is still disconnected.

3) When in the "start" position, the wire connection are just like #2 above, but the red-yellow gets hooke up with the red and black wires. This cranks the starter.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Lynn, I purchase a switch and used my meter and found the pin out. Your description is exactly what I found.

Thanks again for the help. Up and running so I let the boys break in the top end to today.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Question for a Mod. When a post with a quest is resolved do I need ask for it to be closed as issue resolved?