1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Just bought 125cc chinese ATV Coolster, Tao Tao

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 125cc chinese ATV Coolster, Tao Tao

Similar to most, read different reviews, input from the internet, and spent time viewing Youtube videos about them as well.

After comtemplating the idea for a few weeks, almost a few months, did went ahead and bought one from KMS.

Colors they had were blue and then red, and free gloves, man was I excited to jump into one and see the kids have fun with them.

The day arrived, after a week or so the UPS truck showed at the house. The truck driver was bringing the ATV box and on the outside it said, Burgundy color. Right away things were not starting right. Had it in the garage, tear up the box, scratched Burgundy color body on the fuel tank, on the rear panel. Had fake plastic head lights, and one main working "fog light style" with low and high beams.

The stick shift cover panel was cut with a saw, compared to the site that has it well covered and the stick shift routes properly to the left side of the fuel tank.

Called KillerMotorSports. Have had about ten different emails, and the Warranty department has sent me from CustomerService, to Services, and then to Warranty, and then some other guy named Martinez, and another one who quitted but dont remember the name. A month has passed by and after numerous emails they agreed to send a body, but so far nothing on the mail (after a month).

Ran the ATV, the chassis frame is not squared away symmetrically, turns better to the right than to the left. The left front wheel has excessive camber that cannot be corrected. Tires wear out on pavement super quick, I mean one fuel tank and its already missing thread. The rear left wheel is bent, so on top of the excessive vibration, as this engines are bolted to the frame without no dampening whatsoever, there is a terrible shake at high speeds. The body is a little crooked to the left, and no way to fix unless you want to start bending metal frame here and there. The dips stick is cheap, cheap plastic, .25 toy dispenser plastic quality.

The engine itself is strong on the flats, but on hills Forward is useless even with a 60 pound kid. The gearing is way too high, reverse is very strong. I rode it and right away knew the 125cc is way too much power for a kid, adjust the speed (governor) on the right handlebar.

So far the carburator has held fine, easy to start, highly recommend 91 octane and some Seafoam every now and then, or fuel stabilizer.
Somehow for me its a pain to adjust the chain, and at low speeds has a scary grinding, clicking sound once in a while. All electronics have held well after a few soap washes and encounters with muddy water on the trails. To me the air filter is way to exposed, some shielding would help. Shifting from Neutral to Forward, even with low idle, and actuated brakes (not revving), gives a small kick that I do not like, but has held fine consecutive top speed runs, several fuel tanks, and s far three oil changes. Most bolts are tightened pretty good, just double check the wheels, frame, engine, etc. A half hour of checking all bolts and nuts, after every half tank or so will be the difference between safe fun, and catastrophic failure. watch that chain every so often, tighten well the hanblebar allen nuts, use locktite everywhere you can.

(Do not pour ANY oil on the left side of the engine, and ONLY remove the 17mm nut flat underneath the engine to change the oil. The other nut is a spring with a shaft for the gearing.

I did get what I paid for, the chassis is a little bent, the rear left tire as well, received a color that was not even in display. The service from Killermotorsports is horrible. When I bought it they were telling me like ten times to give them a call once I received it for any issues. It has a 60 day warranty and so far nothing from them. I have to act fast send them a certified letter explaining all damages and open a dispute with the credit card company. I even told them what is the sweat when the carrier has insurance. I showed them the damages via pictures, they agreed to send me a statement to forward to the company and they have not sent anything. I also did not receive the "free" gloves, some excuse that they moved warehouses and did not have them, but when they sold me the ATV they clearly stated had the ATV in blue and that had gloves in the size requested.

Buying a chinese ATV is a gamble, for small trails etc its ok. Has no torque whatsoever, but good top end, the vibration is painfully horrible to your hands, hips, and feet. You have been counselled 101 about the dark side of chinese atvs. Last but not least, GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Coolster 125cc damages

Click on picture, still learning how to embed the video on the site.

Check out the excessive play there is on the tire/wheel. Seems to be bent axles, as I used a stick to the axle and would touch on/off/on at each rotation, similar to truing a bicycle wheel.

Check the handlebars, the vibration on the grips its unbearable at full throttle.

Not sure if its normal or not, the sprocket has some play...

And one more as a link:

Let me see if I can take the off play better next time, for now here is another clip...

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nt=rearend.mp4

Is it unsafe?

Yes it is.

Case opened with credit card company, and taking it to a local authorized chinese atv dealer for a quote of repairs.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

Name:  Coolster9.jpg
Views: 17775
Size:  66.9 KB
If you notice carefully, although is difficult with the camera, that horizontal bar in the middle is higher on the right side (viewer perspective), than on the left side. Its not much, but plenty to have the frame off...

Name:  Coolster11.jpg
Views: 19036
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  Coolster7.jpg
Views: 18145
Size:  66.4 KB

Super ghetto gutted out with a saw... No way near close to the pics on the site.

Name:  Coolster8.jpg
Views: 19651
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  Coolster3.jpg
Views: 17974
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  Coolster4.jpg
Views: 17415
Size:  85.9 KB

The front grill is way off to one side.

Name:  Coolster13.jpg
Views: 17503
Size:  43.3 KB

Almost forgot, the alleged magneto oil plug, is not after all. A simple bolt, no metal shavings would stick to it as advertised, another marketing bluf.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the world of cheap chinese crap. That's what you get, unfortunately. Good luck with the dealer.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

You tell me...

After all the polite customer service, that if I ran into trouble they were going to assist over the phone and so forth.

Now the warranty clearly states to be eligible must be assembled by an approved ATV mechanic. So for those of you parents who buy one, and have the skills to assemble it. Go ahead, warranty will be void.

OWNED!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

Its funny when I called to purchase the ATV the phone call got disconnected, and within seconds they were calling back to finalize the order. I would tell them is no big deal, as I know how to submit orders online. He insisted to get the order over the phones as they are faster to process.

On the other hand, have called multiple times to customer service and warranty, and the phone call gets disconnected as well. Never ever they call back. Worked for about two weeks with a technician who later did not work then anymore and nobody had any idea what I was talking about.

Called the other day, and had this "tech support" guy who bluntly told me "I am learning the same way as you are, I am basically new to this". Almost each and ever question he had to put me on hold while he looked for the answer.

Where you pour the gear and engine oil?
Does the ATV needs clutch adjustment?
How to remove the rear axle?

It was very disappointing, got tired of the yeah yeah, uh, uh, and decided to finish the call.

After more than 20 emails, multiple phone calls on different days, credit card claim, and a month and half later, finally got one of the damaged parts.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

it sucks that you are having all of these problems, but unfortunately it is par for the course..

I got my son the exact same quad for xmas, and I got it a few days before since it is hard to hide, and when I gave it to him it ran like crap (no tq, etc.).

6 months later I finally got most of the issues worked out and am happy enough with it, but it all comes down to what you said.. you get what you paid for and you paid for poorly jigged frames, plastic that doesnt fit right because it is used on 10 different brand quads, poor assembly, etc.

I doubt yours was damaged in shipping - if it was hit hard enough in shipping to bend the frame it would have been obviousl before you opened the box. It looks like the frame was jigged and welded wrong. On mine, I have found 2 places like that, but luckily they arent that important.. my rear bearing carrier/chain adjustment thing is crooked and my rear brake cyl. is crooked.. they just dont pay attention when they weld these things up.

If I could have afforded a Japanese quad I would have, but that wasnt in the cards.. it was chinease or nothing. I couldnt even find a decent used name brand quad for what I paid for the taotao new (~$500). I bought mine knowing I would be wrenching on it a lot and I was ok with that, I just expected it would run when it was new, and that was too much to ask.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

I understand, got to absorb the "warranty" part of it.

Luckily I did not fall for the extended warranty bait. What they do not tell you is all emissions related parts have by federal law a one year minimum warranty.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

The same way I posted all the headaches I have gone through with the purchase of this atv. I must follow up and post what has come out from warranty, and the company KillerMotorsports itself. First off, this is not spam, I did experience some hiccups with the atv, customer service was not the best, or non-existent, but all have changed at least for me.

The company went ahead and sent me a body in the color that I wanted, blue color. They did receive my emails about the rear having excessive vibration, and they sent an axle with wheel and tire, both brand new. The atv was missing the front lights, and the lights were sent as well, and the set of "free" gloves that they forgot to ship. It did take multiple phone calls, a claim with the credit card company and about 3 months later, but after all everything is back to normal. The atv is running good, all electronics work, idles, and has plenty of power for such a small displacement. Its a chinese atv, so perfect for trail riding. Lesson learned, be persistent, stay professional when communicating your concerns, and above all, very patient.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Pap & Grandkids' Mechanic
Default Clicking Noise in Rear End of Tao Tao 125 Solved (for me)

Bought a new Tao Tao 125-D for my grandson. After riding it just 10 minutes the rear end started clicking like there was a stick caught somewhere. I checked the chain tension first, and it was too tight from the factory, so I loosened it. No help. I next took the wheels off and made sure everything was put together in the right order (the flat washer, lock washer and nut). Still no go, more clicking. I let it sit, checked on some forums and still found nothing other than the possibility the rear bearings were shot .......I wasn't happy. I went back out and sat on the thing (not running) and I got the click. Now I was puzzled. I took everything apart, and nothing was bad. Then it hit me and this was the right answer: I checked the hub that was bolted to the wheel, and sure enough the 3 bolts weren't tight and the wheel was moving around on those lugs. I tightened them and no more click!!! Hope that helps, it sure would have helped me. Now they may seem tight because there is paint on the threads, but trust me if you just hit the wrench with your hand (on the bolt, not the nut), it will draw down a quarter turn.......just enough to make the clicking stop. About 120 ft lbs if you're torquing.

Quick Reply: Just bought 125cc chinese ATV Coolster, Tao Tao