1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Wheels wont stop spinning even at low idle adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels wont stop spinning even at low idle adjustment

I picked up a chinese atv that had been sitting for a year, and am in the process of making it work. It had a no spark issue which was diagnosed as a bad coil and fixed. I also cleaned the carb down, and now it will start and run. However I think I may have another problem with my carb adjustment or something different entirely. When the back wheels are off the ground they are always spinning, no matter how low I set the idle. I checked the throttle cable adjustment and it seems fine, so im not even entirely sure if this is a problem. I cleaned the throttle needle with carb cleaner but it does have some I havent taken it out of the shop yet in order to see if it takes off when the rear wheels are on the ground. I was hoping to see if this is an actual issue that needs to be fixed first. Again, the little four wheeler does run but no matter how much i drop the idle speed the rear wheels keep spinning. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with friction and its own weight, does it try to move at idle when the rear wheels are on the ground? if so, adjust the centrifugal clutch. what quad is it? what size? some of the semi auto baby quads have clutch adjustments. wheels up in the air give no resistance. i'm really not surprised that they spin. i just don't know how much they spin at this point in time.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure of the brand , it is a semi auto clutch though. I will try putting it on the ground today than adjust the clutch from there. Is it a simple adjustment? Thanks

Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

http://www.kidatvs.com/RedCat/kmx50_manual2.pdf

pg 12 shows a generic clutch adjustment. screwdriver and a wrench. if your quad doesn't have this style set up. we'll have to figure something else out.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I thought I had the little quad running the other night but I had one hell of a time getting it to run today. Full choke and giving it full throttle gas gets it going then I have to feather it to keep it going. I'll probably tare down the Carb again to see if the jets are clogged again. I had time to look and I do have the same clutch adjustment as the redcat. Thank you for that PDF file.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Clutch adjustment seems to have worked for the most part. However I have a popping noise when shifting from neutral to 1st. Did I maybe make the clutch too tight?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

can you lower the idle a little bit and see if that helps? no part of the shifter is binding/rubbing/catching on anything is it?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think the shifter is catching on anything. I will lower the idle though,thanks!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think my problem is my chain is a little sloppy. It tightens up when I shift it up from nuetral.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by nbaglior
Well I thought I had the little quad running the other night but I had one hell of a time getting it to run today. Full choke and giving it full throttle gas gets it going then I have to feather it to keep it going. I'll probably tare down the Carb again to see if the jets are clogged again. I had time to look and I do have the same clutch adjustment as the redcat. Thank you for that PDF file.
Never understimate the value of a valve adjustment. Oftentimes, getting the valves adjusted appropriately allows them to start and idle much more smoothly.

Quick Reply: Wheels wont stop spinning even at low idle adjustment