1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Newbie needs help identifying chinese ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help identifying chinese ATV

Just bought for $100. Guy who sold it to me said it was a 400cc and it was chinese, that's all he knew. Hoping it might look familiar to someone. Battling some ignition problems, but the rest looks pretty good. Googled 'Wenzhou Qing Xing Motorcycle Factory, not a single hit. Anyone?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not real sure. but the tank and tank plastic area is very similiar to hibird. at least the 250cc sport hibirds have the same/identical tank and tank plastics.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default UPDATE new info

I found out there is a stamp in the casting on the back of the engine that says xf250. i guess its not a 400cc after all. anyone heard of or have any info on a xf250 engine?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

is there a metal ID tag or an ID sticker located on the front or rear grab handles? if not, look on the vertical downtube that the handlebars are attached to just below the plastics and about halfway down before you get to the tie rods. then pull the VIN off of the lower left hand horizontal frame rail and run the 17 alpha-numeric VIN on the online VIN decoder. the closest thing my internet search pulled up was a pioneer terrahawk xf250. but without the VIN, we don't know what year model your quad is.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster94, thanks for your suggestion. I searched the thing high and low, the only ID tag I could find is the one i posted in the second picture, which is located along the lower left frame rail, near the front attachment for the left A-frame. The tag says it's a 2002, but unfortunately the VIN on there is only 14 digits, the online decoders don't seem to like them if they're not 17 digits in length. Any other thoughts?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i feel stupid. dang i can't believe i missed the metal tag in the pic. i wasn't thinking. guess i couldn't see the forest cause of the trees. YES, the VIN is on the metal ID tag. it's just that the 1st 3 are the LWO and then the rest is the stamped digits, you found 14+ the 3 prelabeled LWO and that = 17. let me do some research.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

LOL Jaster94 you're right, I totally missed the LWO in the VIN. I used all 17 in a couple online VIN decoder sites, but was unable to find any other info.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

250CC utility ATV, QUAD, SD250ST - Product Picture From Chongqing Hi-Bird Motorcycle Industry Co., Ltd.

i'm sticking with my first guess. it think it's a 2002 hibird. sure the racks look like a polaris or Eton, but the tank area makes me think of hibird. there's the link to the newest hibird utilities. that's about all i can do on this post.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help Jaster94. I may have gotten lucky browsing on ebay I found some identical plastics, the listing said they were for a Kazuma 250. That should help me find a replacement seat anyway. The only problem is the Kazuma is a single cylinder 250, mine is a parallel twin, so I'm not sure if I will be able to interchange ignition parts...anyone know if there's a difference in CDI between a single cyl and twin cyl CDI? Or is it just 1 coil for a single, 2 coils for a twin? There's only one magnet on the flywheel, and one pickup coil, so I'm assuming both coils fire at the same time... any expert advice?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'm sorry i don't know that. i rarely mess with twin cylinders. sorry. and sorry i was wrong about the make of the quad. sure did look similiar to what i saw on the web. but then again, you can only believe about half of what you see on the internet and most of that is still a lie

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help identifying chinese ATV