1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

quad engine 150cc

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad engine 150cc

Hello this is my first post I got a quad engine 150cc electric starter no kick start the man that I got it of said it was a zongshen but I think its a clone of the CG125/150 as the manual is the same spec as mine but don't tel me anything about the engine starter wiring and what the to cables are sticking out or where they go or what they do even the part nuber don't say much 161FMJ am guessin it a clone any help would be nice cheers will post pic soon as iam on mobile version

Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

150cc engines are usually GY6 engines, but that isn't gauranteed. Use google to search for "GY6 engine pictures" and see if that is what you got. Pay attention to the horizontal configuration, and the engine cylinder plastic shrouding (part of a forced air cooling system).

What is the history of this quad? Ever seen it run? Can you post pic's of the "two cables are sticking out " in your personal album? You cannot post pic's in the forum proper until you have like 25 posts under your belt. It is an anti spam barrier.

Wiring diagrams are almost never provided, and if they are they are usually wrong. But there aren't that many ways to wire up a quad starting system, so with a meter and some careful measurements we can figure it out.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I google the engine best thing I come to was a honda CG 125/150 that was verry a like and googled zongshen but other then that the honda seems to be the same the engine is a ZS161FMJ can only find ZS151 and 152 162 163 and a 200cc water cooled I have never seen it runing but its in good shape pics are in profile and I think one of the cables is a gear sensor but not sure on the other one I was thinking of wiring my own but on some wiring you need fuses and that confused me a bit :/ cheers for the reply

Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Electrical Expert

That's definately not a GY6 engine .

So what are you trying to do with this engine? If you're installing it in a quad then what quad? Is the quad complete with all the ancillary stuff like ignition coil, starter solenoid, battery, voltage regulator, CDI, ignition switch, kill switch, etc. What about a wiring harness?

Yes, you need a fuse but that is the least of your worries if you're intending to wire up a quad from scratch.

I didn't see your connectors in the pic's in detail, but one of them must be the stator connector which triggers (and maybe powers) the CDI, and drives the voltage regulator.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Am trting to find out what engine it is so I can order parts for it sorry about bad pics was in a rush and thanks for the reply so do you know what engine it is if its not a GY!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Electrical Expert

I do not know what engine that is.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay thanks for your help........does anyone know lol

Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did this engine come with the quad or he had this engine separate? looks similiar to a Roketa but the starter cover IS different. it could be a Hibird or several other brands like RedCat, BMS, Aeon, Lifan, or the really off brands. definitely NOT a GY6 engine though. that engine may even be pushing 200cc displacement. really look around to find a cast/stamp with the cubic centimeter displacement. like Lynn said, wiring is wiring. it can be done with the existing harness with just the right placement of the wiring.

what does the ID tag say from the quad? it's usually located on the front or rear grab handle OR on vertical downtube from the handlebars. look on the underside of the lefthand frame rail on the bottom for the VIN. we could run it and try to decipher what the quad brand actually says from the VIN.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

No just engine I got a wiring harness cdi ect ect seems to work but now am stuck on this gear sensor where does it connect to or can I take it out I have seen some gear sensors displays but wiring looks abit strange as I don't have a clue that engine looks spot on to mine

Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by steveboy25
No just engine I got a wiring harness cdi ect ect seems to work....
Seems to work? Please define that that. Does this engine run or not? You've got to start being more open and honest or I will just give up. I still have no idea what you're up to, and you are being totally non responsive on this point.

What are you trying to do? Why is that such a hard question? Is this for a quad or not? You have not answered that. If it is not for a quad, then what is your application?

Originally Posted by steveboy25
....now am stuck on this gear sensor where does it connect to or can I take it out I have seen some gear sensors displays but wiring looks abit strange as I don't have a clue that engine looks spot on to mine

Gear sensors are exactly that. They detect what gear you are in. Usually they ground one of a series of pins depending on what gear you're currently in. This can simply be logic info to a display of some sort, or it could possibly be involved with a starter motor safety interlock - such that you cannot crank the starter unless the quad is in neutral. But why the question? Does your engine crank? Do you have spark?

Why are you being so mysterious? What's the story here? It is time to spill your guts..

Quick Reply: quad engine 150cc