1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

looking for some sunl help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some sunl help

ill start with the basics. picked this up for free down the road. was told needs a chain, a battery, brake work and plastics.

got it to the house figured id try to get her started before i go buy a chain. boosted the battery from the car and she turned over and i had it running in no time.

has kick start and elec. and ive been able to start it both ways

i went got the new chain got that all on.

cleaned the carb and air filter

now the problem is when it starts it runs great, plenty of power, great idle

its a 4 stroke fully auto i think somewhere around 125cc (title is in the mail on the way so i dont know what model it is yet but the seat does have sunl on it) pics of quad below

from the small amount of looking ive done it looks like the sunl 2006 sa something 150

heres a few pics

on the throttle side of the bars the brake lever is broke off
it has 18 rears 19 fronts

eventually ill know the model when the title makes it here but if anyone really knows ill take the info.

also if there is a reason why it starts sometimes and runs great and other times you can try to elec start and kick for an hour without it starting id love the input

Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

nd heres the quick vid i did of when it started so you can hear and see it

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

somewhere in the vicinity of the base of the jug or on the crankcase might me a cast stamped engine size. 123 cm3 or 149cm2, round up. looks like a 150cc to me. as far as wanting input on that issue, try adjusting the valves or see what they're currently setting at. i wouldn't think the compression would be too low right now based on your video. year model, look on the frame for the 10 digit alpha-numeric VIN. the 10th digit is the year model.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah ill have to look, didnt look for vin or cc since title is on the way. i have no idea of anything about valves. i figured since it would either start easy as pie or not at all maybe another problem was to blame. in some youtube searching i saw some must have the brake on to start....

now question on that...would it still turn over but not start or not turn over at all if it was a brake needing to be on to fire? left bar rear brake works,,,parking brake doesnt work and the rite bar brake with is either front or front and rear has no handle to engage....i proly wont have time to mess around again till mid week but could it be that simple as that rite handle break lever being gone and i just got lucky the couple times it did start by maybe hitting the cable without realizing when it did start

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by greggreg2011
.. i have no idea of anything about valves. i figured since it would either start easy as pie or not at all maybe another problem was to blame....
If it readilly starts and runs warm, but is a bear to start (or won't start) cold, then valve adjustmment goes right to the top of the list. Do it, and get it out of the way. You tube has zillions of videos and how to do this. 0.004" intake and exhaust (engine cold) if you can't find more exact spec's for your specific engine This is periodic maintenance, and must be done regularly. Valves get tighter when cold, and tighter still with wear. If your quad valves are too tight then it won't start cold, or is really tough to start. But if you do get it started, it will start again and run great until the engine cools all the way back down.

... in some youtube searching i saw some must have the brake on to start....

now question on that...would it still turn over but not start or not turn over at all if it was a brake needing to be on to fire?...

The brake switch interlock prevent the quad starter motor from turning unless the brakes are applied. It has nothing to do with spark, or whether the quad starts up or not. If the starter cranks the brake switch is completely out of the picture.

...parking brake doesnt work and the rite bar brake with is either front or front and rear has no handle to engage....i proly wont have time to mess around again till mid week but could it be that simple as that rite handle break lever being gone and i just got lucky the couple times it did start by maybe hitting the cable without realizing when it did start

I am totally not understanding this...

Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

ill look into to the valve adjustment. it doesnt matter if its cold or warm, example after installing new chain had it run for about 10 mins then shut it off and try to start again instantly and will just turn over till your hands are blue.

but ill check out some youtube for adjusting valves

as for that part you mentioned you didnt understand i was just saying the right side hand break lever was broke off witch is either front or front and rear brakes and was wondering if that could have had anything to do with that brake switch but since it turns over guess not.

ill check out youtube and get back in a few days on the valve adjustment

Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Electrical Expert

Difficult starting when warm as well as cold points away from valve adjustment issues. It may be worth checking anyway since you need to learn how to do this, and it is not hard.

So your quad doesn't start, but it did when you jumped it to your car? Is that still true?

When your quad isn't starting, check for spark again. Do you get spark while the quad is being stubborn?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i actually went out yeasterday teusday for about 2 hours to look into valve adjust...check pics..... there was a plastic guard around the motor so i removed it. the few vids on the tube i watched that were china related quads didnt look like what i have.....i didnt see anything for an output valve unless its under the actual exhaust??? on the top end i found this what i thought valve....vids show remove cap and have a nut to turn witout turning a bolt type deal....this didnt have that...was a super tiny flathead screw but it only turned a spring mech.....

maybe i missed a step but thats all i found

after the 1st mess with it i did it .it actually started with kick start 2 times in a row but died after id say 30 secs/////almost a super low idle then die

ill have to look more into it

has spark and gas...starts when it wants and runs fine then..no matter cold or hot...

when messin with what i think is the valve lookin for tdc//look pics

what mark would be tdc????????? and is this spring mech i found have to do with carb???????or is it a vlave adjust?????/

sorry if you cant understand me its the day off 2day so had a few drinks

pics of marks and motor.....title hasnt made it yet so haqvent got its info for sure yet

i went through the fuse and all connections and they are clean...no major rust....tried kick staring for half hour before messin with lil flathead screw in last pic(((img))) with nothing and after messing with it was when i had the 2 kick starts in a row

again sorry for my writing today was off and have had a drink

Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Electrical Expert

Oh my...

From your pic's you have GY6 engine. Search on youtube for "GY6 engine valve adjustment". There are a legion of videos to help you out...

Valve adjustment is easy. You've seem to have made it much more difficult than it should be...

The only thing you have to remove is the valve cover (that bowl like cover on the top of the engine), and a screw access plug in the engine side cover that allow you to see the timing marks on the flywheel). You're lucky with a kick start since you can position the engine at TDC with the kick start mechanism. Else, you have to remove the fan cover and rotate the engine by hand using the fan itself.

TDc is when the flywheel "T" slash on the flywheel is at the marker on the engine chassis.

But look at the you tube videos. It is all there..

That "plastic guard around the motor" is part of a forced air cooling system. Look at the squirrel cage fan and what it feeds. Make sure you put all of that back. This is very important for keeping your GY6 engine running right without over heating.

Gy6 engines are really reliable, have good parts availability, and full blown engine service manuals downloadable for free. Google search that and you will find more information than you can believe.

If you cannot find a full blown GY6 service manual (like 30 megabytes of info) come back and I will help you.

Oh. I've had a couple drinks too .

Last edited by LynnEdwards; 12-06-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

cool, ill look into gy6 next search. i was wondering why this looked so different then the other valve vids i looked at. glad you said thoes motor plastics serve a purpose cause i was thinking trash em instead of putting back on, guess im glad i didnt.

well ill be back with an update maybe by monday if i get time over the weekend to get at it

Quick Reply: looking for some sunl help