1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Starter struggles to turn engine over.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, wonder what things could cause too much compression. timing being off SHOULD cause too low compression, but thats where Id start. and take off the exh. from the head in case the exh. is clogged. easy enough to check those things.

I doubt the oil could be dirty enough to cause anything like that, but for god sakes man change it anyways.

have you checked the grounds from the battery to the engine to the frame? make sure those are good and tight/clean too.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old post about too much compression on a Chinese atv

I know this was an old post but was wondering did you ever find the problem? Because I'm having the same issue and about to burn up a second starter!!! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

make sure you have the correct oil and the correct amount of oil in it. That may not be the cause of the problem you are having but it can cause problems. As far as what you are describing, I would check your valve lash. Is the machine backfiring when you try to start it?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

No actually it doesn't even make a complete revolution without killing the battery,jumpstart pack to give a lil extra and smoking the starter!!! It seemed to die up before when the gooseneck connected to the carb,had a crack thru it but I J.B welded it and now it's back to compression. I even changed the oil and didn't fill completely😱I'm lost!!! Lol thx for the words of encouragement tho lol I'm not giving up!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

this seems to be a common problem im having the same issues with my 110 very frustrating it ran fine then one day starter started dragging then it turns over maybe one time then clicking i have tried two starters three solenoids

Old 01-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

Valve could be sticking open hitting the piston, could be gas or oil in cylinder, could have seized, need put oil down spark plug, use 14mm to turn engine over manually till free, obstruction with starter chain, broken rocker arm, remove top plate to see rocker arms or loose.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok sry so late to get back,but I tried the oil and it seems even worse!!! But forgive me when I say: I'm just an electrician so when you say to take off the top plate. Are you referring to the stator/magneto? Because I did notice it was free wen I pulled the plug and spun! I also had someone tell me that when I changed the starter that I may have jumped time?!?!?! Also counterclockwise is the rotation that's giving me the issue if that makes any difference! Thx in advance once again lol

Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Trailblazer

No the plate on the top of the head, 4 nuts, make sure to put washers back on same way they came off (bottom passengerside gets copper washer) you'll be able to see valve stems, r& rockers move when turn engine over.

That's normal clutch, free spin vs compression.

You did not messs up timing, that chain is only for starter.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thx again for the guidance btw! So anywhoot I took the top plate off and all moving parts seem to be rotating properly but when I spun manually counterclockwise a pool of oil dropped right out of the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Starter struggles to turn engine over.