1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

performace CDI and Coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've not tried any performance stuff.

The CDI you linked to is an AC powered CDI. Make sure your quad CDI has the same 5 pin connector. Some 110cc machines have a four pin CDI - these are DC powered.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not sure how a CDI or coil gives more power? I always thought spark meets gas/air and you have a explosion inside cylinder.
If you want a hotter spark you just change the spark plug number.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Not sure how a CDI or coil gives more power? I always thought spark meets gas/air and you have a explosion inside cylinder.
If you want a hotter spark you just change the spark plug number.
The "idea" behind a performance CDI is a modified timing advance curve - especially at high RPMs. Normally the timing advance in a stock CDI uses the amplitude of the trigger signal (which varies proportionally with engine RPM) to advance the timing a bit at faster engine speeds. It's linear. A performance CDI can programmed to have a very complex timing advance curve. It does this by measuring the time between this ignition trigger pulse from the stator and the last one (and use it to calculate engine speed), and through a look up table and adjustable timers set the *actual* trigger pulse timing for the next spark. And of course the current *actual* trigger pulse was already set in motion by the previous two trigger signals from the stator. And so on.

That said, I really wonder how much of an increase you get. If you're in a racing situation where 1% means the difference between winning and second place then I guess it matters. For most people I doubt they would be able to tell the difference in a double blind study where they had no way of knowing which CDI was installed.

AS far as performance ignition coils go, I doubt there is any validity to claims of more horsepower with a performance coil.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know that the Cdi says no rev limiter. We have change the sprockets to give the atv more low end, you can tell when he gets on it that it hits a point at about 26mph and acts like its hitting a rev limiter. After we changed the sprockets he went from about 38mph max speed to 25-28 down hill. Which is fine with us, he is in mostly wooded areas with mud and branches in the path.. My thing is if there is no rev limiter I wonder if it would allow him to blow the motor. I do have the 5 pin Cdi, which plug do you recommend? Anything else I can do to give him a littler more. He is slowly out growing these atvs. With at the time and effort to keep them running would be nice to maybe make one more year with them...
Thanks for the comments!!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

'if there is no rev limiter I wonder if it would allow him to blow the motor'

YES. If the rev limiter is actually completely disabled it will allow you to blow the engine. This assumes that the bike has enough power to gain the necessary rpms to blow the engine though.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

"camoAS far as performance ignition coils go, I doubt there is any validity to claims of more horsepower with a performance coil."

I don't know but I can see a use for them. My kazuma would spark when it was suppose too (assuming the cdi wasn't in a pissy mood), but it never had a strong spark. I tested the coils and stator and they checked good but it always had weak spark. I wonder if a performance type coil woulda helped? Oh well its someone else's problem now just traded it for an '83 ATC 200e cause I'm one of those crazys that prefer trikes.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I may just buy it and try it. I mean its only $50 nothing else I will have an extra coil and cdi. Any other help for getting more out of these 90cc and 110cc. Someone said spark plug is there a better one than the factory ngk? I haven't found anything else for them. I wish I could find a better exhaust. My son loves my two brothers on my bike.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

As far as plugs go just use a cheap plug. No platinum or anything. The cheap plugs actually break microscopic pieces off when the plug fires and those help get a better burn.
I used to own a 98cc street bike and the thing to remember is these tiny motors only make 4-6 hp. There isn't a plug that will make a real difference. The 'performance' parts might add 1/4 hp if you are very, very lucky. Are these are horizontal engines? If so and you don't feel $300-350 is too much to spend on a bike that will be outgrown in a yrar you may try something like this. Lifan 125cc Engine Motor Pit Dirt Pocket Bike Combo Kit | eBay Rated at 8.5kw (used online calculator and came out just over 11hp). And comes with all the bells and whistles.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

He is more of a atv kinda kid.. I got him a 50cc bike and he didn't like it. Thanks tho

Quick Reply: performace CDI and Coil