1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Rear pull-stop/emergency kill switch..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear pull-stop/emergency kill switch..

The pull-stop/emergency kill switch on the back of my granddaughters Hensim is a spring-loaded switch with a eye-bolt on the back, where you attach a string/rope/tether line.

It feels like a 'momentary' switch only.

How do these work exactly?

It seems to me that the switch should be on, then with a tug on the line, it should go 'off' and kill the engine.

Do you have to pull on the line and keep tension till the engine quits, or just give it one pull?

Not sure if the switch is operating properly and have the quad disassembled doing repairs so I can't 'live' test.

Thanks
Mike

Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

assuming these things all work the same, you have the idea, only backwards. it is a momentary switch. except when the button is pushed in, its "off" or open circuit.

with the tether cap in place, its pushing the button in. breaking the circuit open. against the spring pressure.

now when you pull it off, the circuit closes (under spring load as you said). what its doin is grounding out the power to the coil. killing spark.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by irocss85
assuming these things all work the same, you have the idea, only backwards. it is a momentary switch. except when the button is pushed in, its "off" or open circuit.

with the tether cap in place, its pushing the button in. breaking the circuit open. against the spring pressure.

now when you pull it off, the circuit closes (under spring load as you said). what its doin is grounding out the power to the coil. killing spark.
Thanks for your reply. I have a switch on the front like the one you are mentioning.

The one on the back has to be pulled from behind. Ohm'd it out.. it's N/C by the spring and opens when you pull the shaft toward the back.

It is a momentary switch and will have to remain pulled/engaged until the engine quits. Chasing a quad down while keeping tension on the spring loaded switch leaves something to be desired. If you would release tension while the engine is still turning, it would start right back up.

I'm wondering why they just didn't put a pull-toggle switch... one tug, it's off and stays off.

I checked the wiring and I think that's how it works.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

hmm, yeah mine is on the bars. figured it would be the same switch/setup. I agree with your thought though, why not make normally closed switch so you could just tug off the cap? does the part that the rope attach's to stay on the switch then? doesnt come off with the rope?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by irocss85
hmm, yeah mine is on the bars. figured it would be the same switch/setup. I agree with your thought though, why not make normally closed switch so you could just tug off the cap? does the part that the rope attach's to stay on the switch then? doesnt come off with the rope?
The whole setup: tether to eyebolt, then spring, then switch.
Pull tether, it pulls eyebolt, it pulls spring, it pulls switch.

Eye-bolt is semi fixed between a bracket so it can't be pulled more than about 3/4 inch.

Switch looks just like the brake light switch, but the wires are only about 3 inches long.

Wonder if the correct switch was lost and this was rigged up?

Anyway, it's sure not a good setup and I will change it out.

Thanks for your help.

Mike