1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

newbie with weird electrical problem!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with weird electrical problem!

hi all just bought a second hand 70cc kazuma meerkat copy quad for my son to learn on. It starts and runs fine but every now and again it just refuses to start (wont even turn over) It seems to be when its been stood for awhile i'll put key in, turn petrol on and press start button.....nothing. Ill press buttons on alarm fob....nothing. Ill turn light on....Nothing. Its as if the power isn't getting from the battery. After turning the ignition on and off a few times and repetedly pressing the start button it will burst to life then continue to be fine until its left for a few hours.......weird eh? I have basic electrical knowledge and good mechanical knowledge but don't even know were to start with this one, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unplug all the connectors and look at the terminals. both female and male terminals check for corrosion or loose fitting/spread female terminals. sounds like a poor connection somewhere in there. batteries dont just intermitently decide to have power, and its not mechanical since you say it wont crank, then it will start right up other times.
have someone else press the start button and hold the brakes on while you wiggle the harness' goin into the ignition switch, kill switch, brake switch's, starter relay.
also, does your brake light work properly? my quad uses the power from the brake light switch, to power up the starter relay. the ground side of the starter relay goes through the kill switch.
you can simply unplug your remote kill module to eliminate it as a source of the problem. you'll only have to do that once, if it doesnt make a difference just plug it in and move on.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

. yep, some kazumas were plagued with the kill wire twisting out of the left handlebar kill switch in the wiring harness that ran down the downtube and would "pinch/twist" when the handlebars were turned. the gauge of the wire was obviously inferior.