1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

taotao not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
ck3
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taotao not starting

i just bought a used TaoTao 250b/c (i think its a 250 anyway, stickers say 250, TaoTao website says 250, emissions plate says 197)

anyway,.... charged the battery, put the key in the ignition, killswitch centered and pushed in, both hand brake and foot brake engaged, push the starter button and nothing happens, solenoid isnt getting power.

does anyone know of any kill switch i might be missing? the brake light comes on when the foot brake is engaged so i don't think that is the issue, i can jump the solenoid with a screw driver, but this motor hasn't been ran in a while and its rather hard to mess with the choke and all when you're trying not to burn the starter up with a screw driver. (im also a little leery of spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid a foot away from where im throwing sparks)

i have completely disconnected (one by one) every electrical plug on the quad, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner, dried them and applied dielectric grease before re-connecting them. i also replaced the tube fuse.

i have also disassembled the headlight/kill switch/start button assembly on the left handle bar, cleaned and WD-40d that. i found it packed full of mud by a mud dauber, but when i reassembled it i still have the same problem. it seems like the start button isn't getting any juice.

when i jump the starter solenoid the motor spits and sputters so i know its getting spark and fuel, i just cant work the choke, and jump the solenoid at the same time very well. and like i said, starting fluid and sparks dont get along well and im trying to keep the fire inside the cylinder

does anyone have any other theories and/or suggestions? any input would be a great help.

thank you.

Last edited by ck3; 04-17-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: forgot to specify quad as "used"
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ck3
it seems like the start button isn't getting any juice.
I have a little 110 Taotao that the starter button doesn't work on. I found that one of the solders at the switch is poor. I tried to re-solder it but there wasn't much to work with so I need a new switch assembly. For now, I'm just using the remote start to crank it over but I have also used a single 19mm wrench to jump the solenoid.

Not a proper use of tools but it worked.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM
ck3
Weekend Warrior

the 250's don't have the remote start as far as i know, this one doesn't at least,

fixed it though, i pulled the switch apart a third time after using a multimeter to determine that it was getting power to it, but not connecting. We used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts thoroughly and now it works.

after i got it cranking it wouldn't catch, cleaned the carb, changed the plug and it ran but i couldn't get it to idle right

today at work i bought a can of berryman Chem-dip. completly tore apart the carb and let is soak in the chem-dip for around 45 minutes, came out all nice and shiny, so i reassembled it, coated the outside with wd-40 to help keep it from corroding again.

clean contacts, clean carb, new battery and a tank full of 93 and it fired up first time i hit the switch, tomorrow i get off work a few hours early so im going to let it warm up and finally set the idle right.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
ck3
Weekend Warrior

On a related note, does anyone know how to adjust the clutch?