1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help with Peace Sports 110cc atv

Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Peace Sports 110cc atv

I just bought a second hand 2010 Peace Sports TRATV-517-110 ATV. It has a jokey shifter that has forward, neutral, and reverse. I'm assuming it is a Honda clone? Main problem is, starting out in forward gear. You really have to gun the throttle to get moving, and even then its very sluggish. Once moving it will go pretty fast. Doesn't matter if I'm riding it (200lb) or my daughter is on it (50lb) its the same. Even worse if the wheel is turned, in the grass, or any kind of incline. Strange thing is, if you put it in reverse, the thing really rips, will do a burnout. But its extremely sluggish going forward.

Is this a problem with the clutch? (I'm assuming this has a centrifugal clutch) Will an adjustment help? It shifts fine in and out of gear, never pops out or anything. Or is this just how these machines act?

If the clutch needs replacement, does anyone make a heavy duty unit that will give me better pulling power down low? Should I change to a lower geared sprocket? Not concerned about top speed, this thing is scary going too fast, and my daughter is only 6 and she just wants to go muddin' and trail riding.

OH and the only other problem is the left front caliper. The one pin is broke. Can the pin be replaced, or does the whole caliper need replaced?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

reverse is a normal thing.. any veh seems to rip in reverse..
One thing you can try that i just did on my atv yesterday.. Blow the clutches out.. I pulled the cover off mine to check the belt.. belt was fairly new but whoever changed it never blew out the clutches i easily spent 15 min blowing dust out of the clutches. It seems to engage a little quicker now. you can even try some emery cloth on the clutch surfaces to take off the glazing.. they may just be slipping at low speed.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm new with these machines...but have done some research....I'm assuming I have a centrifugal clutch, which does not have the belt as a CVT has.

I can post pics if needed....it does have the jamb nut and adjuster screw on the side of the engine.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 125 tao tao doing that and it was the clutches you can try adjusting them there is a nut with a screw driver head bolt sticking out crack the nut loose lightly tighten the screw till it stops back off a 1/4 turn hold it with a screw driver and tighten the nut see if that helps.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried that and it doesn't do squat.

We took it out to ride at my parents house, and it wouldn't pull my 50lb daughter up a small hill. RPM's really high but was going nowhere. Then it stalled, and wouldn't turn over. Jumped the relay with pliers and it fired up.

Anyway, about the clutch, and gearing. I took the clutch apart and I think its pretty well worn out. Clutch discs are thin and a little bit of shiny sludge came out of the clutch when pulling it.

Question is, can I buy an HD replacement, or am I stuck with the same $25 part from ebay?

Now, gearing. The main shaft gear behind the clutch is a 18t, the one it meshes with is 67t, the one on the opposite side of the motor that the chain goes on is 13t, and I didn't count the one on the rear axle, but its big.

I'm looking for some better low end power. I know I will loose top end, but that's OK, my daughter is 6 and I won't let her go that fast. She wants to run through mud puddles and over obstacles and hill climb. Whats a good setup for this?

Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really sure see if a honda clutch will go in if so it might be worth it.